PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Florican

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Made this image last week in the state of Gujarat, India
Canon 40D, Canon 600 + 1.4x.
F8, 1/1000 sec, -0.67 Ev
Do let me know what you think about the image and any improvements that may be needed.

Quite a rare bird in our region, though they are found throughtout the year, one can see them only during the breeding season.The male jumps up about 7-8 feet in the air, and flaps its wings and comes down with a whistle.Its a beautiful display.Unfortunately, in some parts, this is used as target practice, due to this jumping behaviour.There are only a handful of images of the female though!

We spent about 2 hours with this bird, who was quite confiding, shot from the car.

Cheers

Mital Patel
08-20-2009, 11:58 PM
MK as said twice in morning.. repeat here again. I would love to die for this image. as i know how hard is to get one in focus while they jump and give a nice display. superb timing and good frame. big Congrats.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
08-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Wonderful moment captured. Usually I like a sharp wing but here the motion blur add a lot to the image, it give me a feeling of jumping and flapping at the same, which is just as what you described. Really like this a lot, thank you for sharing.

Not sure if it only me or not, but I kind of see small halo around the bird.

Harshad Barve
08-21-2009, 02:09 AM
This is fantstic image Mohan , wonderful capture , I know how diifcult to sight them in monsoom grass
very well done here, just take care of those small halos
TFS

Kiran Poonacha
08-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Must appreciate this for difficultly in makeing such a shot, the off Bg makes this work, would just wish the bird was a little sharper bhai... well done, congrats...

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-27-2009, 03:38 AM
Thanks for those suggestions guys, the halo i think is because of the S/H.Sharpness looked okay on my LCD, will check that as well.Thanks.
Mohan

Juan Aragonés
08-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I like the composition and timing of this image a lot. Unfortunately, it is a bit noisy and lack details (perhaps due to a big crop?). The noise in the background and the very S/H haloes can easily be fixed in PS but the noise and lack of details in the bird is difficult to fix because of the small size of the main subject. Is this a RAW file?

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi Juan,
Thanks for your comment.Yes, this was shot in RAW and its about 50% crop.Its a very shy bird...This was shot at ISO 320 on a 40D, so inherent noise is quite evident.i did use NI, and only over the BG.I guess that wasn't enough.Appreciate your comment...