PDA

View Full Version : Re-shoot For Roman

Michael Lloyd
08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Ok Roman... you need to have your rear-end kicked... I'll have to hire that out though... can't risk screwing up my hiking feet :D I got up at 5am... drove almost two hours in the dark, skipped breakfast, climbed a cactus covered hill with a tripod, lens bag, and all kinds of extraneous crap that never got used, only to be greeted by clouds. Who ordered the clouds? I didn't order clouds...

Ok... seriously... you were right... I wasn't <-- that's technically not saying wrong... I'm just sayin... :D

This is not the shot that I went for but even so it beats the socks off of the version that I posted a few days ago. I can't wait to see what it looks like with the sun kissing all the right places. For now it will do as validation for shooting in morning light and using a graduated ND (I ordered a 3 stop filter before I left to come out here)

(1) Your sig line about the 3 stop graduated ND filter is so on target it's not funny. I had to dig out my old Galen Rowell 2 stop ND filter and Cokin "P" holder but it was worth it (I'm glad that I kept all that stuff). I was wishing for 1 more stop... maybe two... with the light that I had, but using a filter beats anything that Photoshop has to offer. Why is it that when I went to digital my brain cells stopped functioning? I stopped being a photographer... shame on me... thank you Roman...

(2) There is something spiritual about being the only person in the middle of nowhere, standing on a hill in the desert, waiting for the sun to come up. I actually took the time to be a photographer and I truly did enjoy myself. I used MLU. I used a cable release. I used a tripod. I composed the image... wow... amazing... :)

EOS1DsMKIII manual. MLU. Cable release
24-70 f2.8L @ 32mm with a two stop graduated neutral density filter in a Cokin "P" holder (note: this combo doesn't work at 24mm. There is significant vignetting in the corners. Cokin makes a holder for wide angle lenses)
Gitzo tripod w/ Arca-Swiss ballhead

ISO 100
1/10s @f8

Also, I used the graduated ND filter in ACR to decrease the sky 1 stop. I have a real 3 stop GND filter ordered :)

Roman Kurywczak
08-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey Michael,
Well....what can I say???!!!.......I'm not sure I can fully express what I feel but I will try......I'm not often speechless! You have conveyed your experience very well.......what I always try to express to people is that they need to connect to a place when they visit...as obviously you have here. Our goal as landscape photographers is to capture the essence of the place....in a fraction of time....so others can feel what we did standing there. Do you know how many thousands of morning I have stood out there and gotten nothing photographically.......but being there and witnessing it.... and just freaking enjoying it!!! The passion/belief and effort need to be there.......or they will just combine for an average image. I have seen that passion in you......you need to transfer that to the image.....people will respond to it and you will be rewarded......let's face it......visiting some of the most beautiful places on earth is great......capturing it's beauty and bearing witness to it......is even better!!! You won't always hit a home run but you need to get out there and try!!!......you won't always be rewarded photographically......but you will spiritually! Don't ever lose that!....that is what will make you a great landscape photographer. Remember.....all we are trying to do is increase our chances of success.....the rest is left to the man upstairs!
I'm glad that I could be part of re-energizing your photographic passion......that means more to me than you can imagine!.....now about that butt kicking hit man.....can I request a petite brunnete?:eek:

denise ippolito
08-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Michael, I read your post and then read Roman's and I have to tell you-I feel rejuvenated about landscape photography!! You really hit the nail on the head when you said "There is something spiritual about being the only person in the middle of nowhere, standing on a hill in the desert, waiting for the sun to come up. I actually took the time to be a photographer and I truly did enjoy myself." Good for you and good for Roman to inspire you like that. This is a true success story!!

Dave Mills
08-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey Michael, read your post and I must say I have a similar attitude. I've been in many place,sometimes remote and I think how lucky I am to be in front of something so beautiful. That I have the opportunity to record a moment in time that I will never see exactly the same. When folks look at my images and comment I'm happy to say "I was there"
Sometimes were successful photographically and other times it's a bust but I'm happy to be there all of the time.

Michael Lloyd
08-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Michael, I read your post and then read Roman's and I have to tell you-I feel rejuvenated about landscape photography!! You really hit the nail on the head when you said "There is something spiritual about being the only person in the middle of nowhere, standing on a hill in the desert, waiting for the sun to come up. I actually took the time to be a photographer and I truly did enjoy myself." Good for you and good for Roman to inspire you like that. This is a true success story!!

I had a great time yesterday Denise. I'm glad that I decided to follow Roman's sig line and his advice to try again earlier. The location has great potential. Just have to be there at the right place and the right time. Could I ask a favor of you? Could you kick Roman's butt? :D He was pretty specific about the qualifications of the kicker... Out of respect to the "kickee" I thought I would ask :D

Michael Lloyd
08-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey Michael, read your post and I must say I have a similar attitude. I've been in many place,sometimes remote and I think how lucky I am to be in front of something so beautiful. That I have the opportunity to record a moment in time that I will never see exactly the same. When folks look at my images and comment I'm happy to say "I was there"
Sometimes were successful photographically and other times it's a bust but I'm happy to be there all of the time.

Very true... on all points.

Mike Fuhr
08-22-2009, 12:10 AM
You are spot on. Half the fun is the adventure associated with getting out there at the crack of down to capture that image you've been dreaming about. And if all goes well, you capture that moment to share with others (who were still in bed:)). Oh and about the picture -- I like it. Might crop some off the bottom to get the horizon out of the middle...

denise ippolito
08-22-2009, 07:50 AM
I had a great time yesterday Denise. I'm glad that I decided to follow Roman's sig line and his advice to try again earlier. The location has great potential. Just have to be there at the right place and the right time. Could I ask a favor of you? Could you kick Roman's butt? :D He was pretty specific about the qualifications of the kicker... Out of respect to the "kickee" I thought I would ask :D

Did you see the size of him dude??:)

Michael Lloyd
08-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Did you see the size of him dude??:)

:cool: Oh don't give me that. You can do it... I know you can. I can feel it. :D Now stop sounding like a wimpy little girl and go kick that butt :D

I should be a coach or something... :p

denise ippolito
08-22-2009, 09:37 AM
You crack me up!!:D

Roman Kurywczak
08-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah.....but my wife doesn't allow any butt kicking that I enjoy:D....unless it's by her!!!......are we supposed to keep it clean?
PS Michael......motivational speaker!

Michael Lloyd
08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah.....but my wife doesn't allow any butt kicking that I enjoy:D....unless it's by her!!!......are we supposed to keep it clean?
PS Michael......motivational speaker!

just trying to help you out homie :D