PDA

View Full Version : Assignment: Macro - Dewy Web

Christopher Miller
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I shot this dew-covered web from the side to get a very narrow DOF. I like the idea, but I'm not sure if the composition and BG are quite right. Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/100, ISO 200, -0.7 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped some off left side, curves adjustment, slight saturation boost, applied a little gaussian blur to the BG, and darkened the edges of the image a little

Harold Davis
08-20-2009, 05:05 PM
chris, you put the focal point on the perfect spot i think! i like the big drops in focus.

did you get any shots from the front? would be cool to see it all in focus too!!

Gus Cobos
08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi Chris,
I like this very much...the capture angle is very good...perhaps an aperture setting of f/5.6 would have given you a little bit more depth of field...good show...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

denise ippolito
08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Christopher, I like your vision for this and I think the angle really adds interest. Good advice already given.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Christopher, I like your angle and shallow DOF. I think in this kind of shot, the BG is paramount. Maybe a uniform or gradient or ideally black. Just my opinion though.

Alfred Forns
08-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Never explored this angle Chris I like it !!!

Your camera favors dof Its tough to blur the bg since even at minimum you get a lot !! For this I would like less dof to blur the bg even more Not sure if you could do it in PS since the web is right there in front !!! Good eye !!!

Lance Peters
08-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Chris - thinking outside the box - I love it - agree even more blur on the background would have been worth exploring.
Cool :)

Christopher Miller
08-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks everyone, very helpful suggestions. I'll keep you posted on my further explorations of this subject!

Bob Miller
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi Chris..I like your angle but that bg is just too distracting.