PDA

View Full Version : Critique this Image!!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi all,
I offer this one up for some food for thought . In the "old days" I chose my fim for specific reasons.....color temp...AKA...white balance.....Velvia for the greens....Kodak Ektachrome for the blues and reds!...especailly VS film...my fave! My tour name comes from the fact that I have been know to roam.....100's of miles in a day....to find a different look of a familiar subject. I have been know to cover 800 miles in a day! This is of Mt. Ranier......a place I have visited many times and love dearly...On a side in between clear cuts....that maybe 3 people have visited! I was looking for a different look of a familiar subject. I do remember that I used the 100-400 for this and at f16 for the first time....as I found no vistas from this side to do a WA shot! I also stacked ND filters and an enhancer. I used to tweak with film choices and filters.....what is your thoughts on the debate of PP'ing??? I have toned down the reds drastically!!!

Kaushik Balakumar
08-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Simple and a lovely image Roman. No complaints with the composition. However there is significant colour cast (red/magenta) even though you've dialled it down. If it were mine, I might bring it down a bit more.
Perhaps also a round of local contrast enhancement in the non-snow part of the lit mountain...
Just my thoughts :)

Dave Mills
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Roman, Due to the nature of the image I believe it was handled quite well. The sillouette was minimalised and forms a nice base.The mountain is well exposed and shows detail. Added feature is the small cloud. Knowing the color is formed by an alpine glow(and witnessing this type of coloration)It looks that way when you observe it. The sky adds to the colored drama of the image even though it takes up the majority of space. I think you could leave it as is or crop some off the top and still get the desired effect

Harold Davis
08-19-2009, 06:35 PM
sweet scene!! could you ship some of that alpine glow down to FL!!

i had a go at it. basically did some tonal contrast boosting the shadow and mid slightly and the highlights quite a bit. desat on the mtn only just a little. NR on the bg and then a slight sharpening to pop some detail on the mtn. it's amazing how much detail is actually in there, even at 200kb. i think i saw some climbers in there!!!

having never seen alpine glow OR mt rainier for that matter, this is probably way off. but it felt good to me!:)

Ian McHenry
08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi Roman
I feel the stunning sky distracts a bit from the main subject Mt Rainier.
How about a pano?
Cheers: Ian Mc

Gerald_Gilligan
08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Roman,
This image is just as much about the journey as about the technique...I really appreciate the back ground story and how you worked to get this image. I like the the foreground mountains in shadow and how it draws you to Mt. Rainer...I wonder if a tad more detail in the shadows would be helpful?

I have not witnessed alpenglow like this but would love to be in position to capture it...The re-post by Harold has a bit more pop to Mt Rainer...and he brought back more color to the sky...The sky works for me either way...
I'm not sure what you mean about the debate about PP'ing ?

Jerry

denise ippolito
08-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Roman, I love the image-I think Harold defined the mountain more, but I prefer your sky w/ just a bit of Harolds tweaks in it. I would take a slice off the top.

Roman Kurywczak
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi All,
Very good observations all around. Ian....I did want to crop a bit....but wanted to keep the V of the whitish cloud. Kaushik, In the repost I dialed in some green....to remove the magenta cast......domr days I like the stronger color....others i feel a tone down is in order. Jerry, the debate is how much or how little in PP'ing.......I always tell people it's their call......I made all my choices with film B4 I took the shot.....I like the luxury now of doing it after! Harold, pretty wild!!!....seems a bit OOTB to me....but I was there.....but I still like it and will give another version a go.....and not crop the sky. I tried bringing up some detail in the shadows.....just didn't seem to work for me and looked muddy. Here's my second version with a bit off the top and a bit of green added to balance the magenta.

denise ippolito
08-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Roman, It looks great!

Ian McHenry
08-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Cheers Roman
I hadn't noticed the arrow like V on the left.
Always good to look from another perspective.
Almost like a meteorite flashing past !!!!
Ian Mc
PS Shades of Close Encounters: Dada dada da !!!!

Jay Gould
08-21-2009, 05:02 AM
Roman, I couldn't YET; David Thomasson could NOW; can you in the OP maintain the lovely magenta cast and substantially whiten the whites? - much more than you RP!

It would be like a vanilla sundae with a cloud on top!!

Harold Davis
08-21-2009, 01:32 PM
roman, i like your repost. truthfully, you can go wrong anyway on this one. it's just that !#$% good. IF it were mine, i would still add a little contrast to your repost. just a little. would have been enough for me just to be there and see it.

Morkel Erasmus
08-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Roman
I quite like Jay's idea of using the OP with somehow achieving whiter whites. lovely scene and mood - and I think with film the best is to leave as shot, especially since you chose the film in order to get that kind of shot...