PDA

View Full Version : Water Lilly Close-up

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2009, 02:57 PM
OK......I'll stop freaking you out Jules with the spiders:eek:.....heres a tight close up of one of the water lillies from my first trip last week to Longwood Gardens....when it rained.
canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro and the MT 24 twin lights at -1 and ISO 800 at f29 and 1/100th sec. hand held and slightly cropped to eliminate black edges.

denise ippolito
08-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Roman, Really nice lily and I like the tight crop! The pale blue w/ the yellow is very nice. The details in the center are great!! Lovely!!

Alan Melle
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
A beautiful flower and a lovely image. For my personal taste I'd prefer a bit more contrast. Then again some family members claim that all my taste is in my mouth..........

Steve Maxson
08-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Stunning, Roman, with the yellows set against the light blues. Very sharp with excellent DOF and the raindrops put it even farther over the top for me. It does not look "flashed" which is another plus.

Michael Zajac
08-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I like how sharp you got this-your exposure looks great!

Nick Palmieri
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Great detail and great color. the rain drops and the light were perfect that day. Never would have thought it when we were sitting in the car in the pouring rain.

Julie Kenward
08-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I also like it as is but agree with Alan that it could use another bump in contrast if that was the look you were going for. As is, it's very elegant and with the contrast boost it would be more daring and dramatic.

Lovely colors and man...is that a tight crop! Still, I love it. Good stuff, Roman.

And now you're freaking me out with the phrase "hand held." Roman? Handheld??? I didn't think you ever handheld!

Roman Kurywczak
08-20-2009, 08:34 AM
I also like it as is but agree with Alan that it could use another bump in contrast if that was the look you were going for. As is, it's very elegant and with the contrast boost it would be more daring and dramatic.

Lovely colors and man...is that a tight crop! Still, I love it. Good stuff, Roman.

And now you're freaking me out with the phrase "hand held." Roman? Handheld??? I didn't think you ever handheld!
Thanks all! I have a version with more contrast and you are correct!.....it's more dramatic and in your face......I posted the softer version to make up for the spider:D.

on the subject of hand holding....I almost always hand hold my macros now! I like the flexibility of the setup....1D Mark lll and the 180 sigma macro along with the MT 24 twin lights......it allows me to compose easier and as you can see.....I'm often at ISO 800 for this reason! Now 95% of my other photography is on a tripod....only when I hand hold my 100-400 occasionally for BIF. I will admit that at the end of the day.....my fingers and arms are killing me......nothing a nice cold beer won't fix!