PDA

View Full Version : Beaver With Ferns

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 08:42 AM
This past summer I noticed my local friendly beaver family hauling ferns into their den for sinner.

They were a bit spooky, but one afternoon, I arrived ahead of time and sat for hours and they eventually grew comfortable with my proximity, which allowed me to capture this image.

Nikon D2Xs, 500 AFSII lens and TC14EII TC.

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow this in uniquie. Usually you see beavers with tree branches.. Image tells a nice story.. You cropped or shot this image so tight that the bright green ferns seem to overwhelm the beaver.. Maybe backing off a bit would help.

Jim Fenton
01-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Interesting comment regrading the crop.

I actually submitted this to a regional wildlife competition in a not so cropped version and all of the judges commented that while it was a great shot, it should have been cropped tighter.

Just goes to show you what non nature judges know :)

Krijn Trimbos
01-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi Jim,
What kind of fern is this? just wondering. Really cool seeing the beaver with something else than a tree, but I tend to agree with Robert. Nice one though!

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 03:27 PM
The image is way cool I think the crop is a mater of taste but have to agree that wider would look better I like it a lot !!!!

Judd Patterson
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Wow, this beaver has quite a salad! The low angle is great and the composition works well for me (but I agree that a wider view has the potential to be even better). It was really worth your time to wait for this individual to become acclimated to your presence.

Jasper Doest
01-05-2008, 05:49 AM
I really like the beaver and the vegetation...and I don't think the fern is that overwhelming...but that tree on the right just keeps bothering me.