PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth Coast Guard Station Lighthouse

Grady Weed
02-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 3/30/2007 06:17:39, Tv(Shutter Speed) 0.8Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -1/3, ISO 320, Lens EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 135.0 mm. From tripod with cable release.

This comp of this lighthouse is perhaps may most favorite for several reasons. First, it is the one of 3 beautiful sky colors I have seen while living here for 20 years. Two, it can have very dramatic clouds, high winds for great waves, deep colors reflecting off of the waters, and you can get in at first light in the winter time. The ocean is right there and the birds flock here in summer. The lighthouse location is Portsmouth Coast Guard Station. Please give specific comments for comp, color and light. What don't you like or like, please. Thanks for your time and efforts in this regard.

I really like this sites participation level and the sheer number of quality photos posted. The moderators really take an interest in every post and forum. I hope it stays that way.

Rich Ikerd
02-08-2008, 06:12 PM
I really like the composition Grady and of course the lighting is wonderful. The starburst light adjacent to the lighthouse is a definite plus. I would recommend that you play with de-saturating the red channel in the sky some. The clouds seem a little blown out there.

Gayle Clement
02-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I really like the composition. The color is beautiful but a slight desaturation of the reds would bring the focus even more to the lighthouse and lovely shoreline.

Grady Weed
02-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Just so everyone knows. Absouletly no PS work done here. Right out of the camera. As is.

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Grady,

i can see why this is a favorite, a very dramatic lighting.

Canon cameras are red sensitive so the reds become over-saturated. The aforementioned comments on reducing it are right on. I would crop some of the water out for an alternate version. Starburst is over the top, nice touch, and the lighthouse is placed well in the composition.

For those reading this thread, note that Grady correctly chose f/22. Right for the DOF needed as well as the correct f/stop to create the starburst from a point of light.

Nice work here.

Michael Pancier
02-08-2008, 10:20 PM
love the pinks and purples. I drove through the town looking for this light and no luck (then again I didn't have good directions) I ended up at an amazing map and bookstore though.