PDA

View Full Version : "Papa Joe"

Gus Cobos
08-19-2009, 04:59 AM
“Papa Joe”

This perky little fellow is Papa Joe, who makes his home in my Pops’ garden, along with the rest of the clan. Papa Joe was painted with a Nikon D3, using a Nikkor 200mm f/4 IF-ED macro lens with a stacked combination of 36mm, 25mm, and 20mm Nikkor extension tubes.

Image Solution:
focal length @ 200mm / exposure mode @ aperture priority / in camera matrix metering / 1/250sec. - f/40 / exposure comp @ 0EV / ISO @ 800 / white balance @ auto / AF - Mode @ manual / color space @ sRGB / lighting solution - Nikon R1C1 wireless close up speedlight system; both light units set to ¼ lumen burst with a wide dispersal pattern and attached diffuser. / tone comp @ +1 degree / hue adjustment @ +2 degrees / saturation factor @ +2 degrees / support platform – monopod.

Comments greatly appreciated...:cool:

Gail Spitler
08-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Wow - lots of equipment in use here to get one totally cool image, just reading the "image solution" is an education.
I assume that the red shape above the spider's head is actually its abdomen? It almost seems attached to the head unfortunately. I think it might be a tad distracting.
Otherwise, another impressive image.
Cheers
Gail

Alfred Forns
08-19-2009, 09:57 AM
...what don't you have in that garden Gus :) Awesome !!!!!! .. and its probably trained :)

Harold Davis
08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
what language does papa joe speak? something like what R2D2 would use?

killer image! one where four catchlights are better than one!!!!

Lance Peters
08-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Awesome Gus - Love it - Say hello to Pap joe for me :)

Richard Waas
08-19-2009, 07:45 PM
You know, it's illegal to import aliens to your Dad's garden... Where do you find these? Congrats!!

BillTyler
08-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Beautifully done! How do you get this guy to stand still?

BTW, if you're doing a lot of macro with Nikons, you might find the PB-6 Bellows useful. You can't get extremely short lens extensions, but longer ones are easy. The standards (camera and lens) both move, and the entire rail racks back and forth as well, making tripod-based work relatively easy.

Bill

Ron Boisvert
08-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi Gus, this is a perfect example of one of the things I love about photography. By that I mean the ability to capture an image of something that we could not really see and appreciate very well without the equipment, at least with my eyes. "Papa Joe" is a wonderful image to study. Thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to see more of your macro work.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Love the eyes and the gold colour around them. Nice framing too Gus.

Bob Miller
08-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Great shot...you even got a highlight in each of the 4 eyes....Love it!

BillTyler
08-22-2009, 10:00 PM
After commenting about the PB-6 Bellows for Nikon macro work, I had two inquiries about where to get one, since they're apparently discontinued. One reply seemed to get bounced by the mailer, so I'm putting the info here. I see them on eBay from time to time, and they generally seem to sell in the approximately $200 range, though your mileage may vary.

Bill