PDA

View Full Version : Fury!

Ramesh Adkoli
08-19-2009, 01:50 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2445/3833408494_9e470bd424_o.jpg

When i heard the rain falling all through the night, i drove early next morning to the Chunchi falls, some 75KM from Bangalore. The rains had completely transformed the falls. It was dramatic! Compare this with an earlier post of the same part of the falls: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42951. Appreciate your views and comments.

EXIF: D700, 70-200 @135mm, 1/10s, f/22, -0.3EV, ISO 200, Aperture priority, Tripod Mount, morning
PP: Levels, Curves, Selective Color, H/S, Cropped a small part from LHS, cloned to even rocks at center

Regards,
ramesh

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Big difference Ramesh! I prefer the first one but this does show the power water can have. Water flow is very important when photographing falls.....too much and it can look muddy and washed out......too little and it can all but disapppear! This has a nice diagonal flow to it. Did you try any at faster SS's? I often find that when a flow is this strong it is better to try and freeze it. If the D700 can handle it....push the ISO for a faster SS and compare when you get home. I would even consider dropping to f16 to gain some more......bracketing this way helps ensure getting the most pleasing look to the flow. Alll in all this was very well handled and composed.

Rich Ikerd
08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Definitely a big difference from your previous post. Must have been some rain! I like the diagonal you've got that lead through the image and I like the shutter speed you've used here - kept a good amount of detail in the water but evened out the splashes a lot. By all means, give Roman's faster shutter speed image a try - you might like the results as well. All depends on the story you're trying to tell with the image.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks a lot, Roman and Rich. I could say i wasn't prepared for this big flow of water;-( Roman, it is interesting that you mentioned. I took lots of photographs at different shutter speeds, ISOs and of different parts of this falls. It is interesting to see that the texture of water in flow majorly affects the feel that the image conveys. The whole experience was a big lesson on shutter speed! I chose to post the above as it contrasted well with the earlier post: placid vs furious. May be at a later date i will post another view of this falls. Thanks again for your views.

regards,
ramesh