PDA

View Full Version : Just a Gull

Jim Poor
02-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Man I can't wait for some more interesting subjects. In the meantime, I'm using what I have for practice.

As you can see by the time stamp, it was mid day and the sun was pretty harsh. The whites high on the breast are really close to being totally gone.

I toyed with cropping it to move the eye to the right and lower, but I wasn't really happy with the results.

Date/Time08-Feb-2008 13:19:19
NIKON D3
Flash Used No
Focal Length 400 mm
Exposure Time1/800 sec
Aperturef/8
ISO Equivalent 200
Exposure Bias -1/3
Metering Mode matrix (5)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

Full Frame
S / H
Desaturated the eye ring in the red channel by -5 (should I go farther?)
Sharpened 75% .2 pixels.

Alfred Forns
02-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Jim I like this a lot You controlled the exposure very well and is one sharp image My only suggestion would be to crop tighter Big Congrats !!!!

The red portion of the eye is small enough I would not de-saturate much Looks very good !!!!

Rich Ikerd
02-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Great sharpness Jim. I'll also vote for a little tighter crop.

Arthur Morris
02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
The whites look fine. Try to find one with a cleaner lower bill. And yes, as above, it needs to be cropped. Below is onE possibility. Notice also that he's been to the local bill-wash...

later and love, artie

Jim Poor
02-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the example. I didn't even consider cropping from the left (smacks self in forehead) I was fixated on cropping from the right. I also didn't notice the bill being dirty. Ah the little things.

Thanks again.
Jim

Fabs Forns
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey Jim, great exposure and sharpness, love the crop :)