PDA

View Full Version : Harpy Eagle (first picture posted)

Chris Sloan
08-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm going to start posting a few pics that I consider my best, in order to get some feedback on things I can do to improve. Note that all of my photography is for the most part done while birding, so I pretty much always handhold. Most of my images are cropped from larger files, so if you don't like a crop, let me know why and I can go back and crop it again and repost for more feedback. First image was taken with equipment I no longer use (January 2007 in Venezuela):

http://www.chrissloanphotography.com/photos/147868567_3WKfk-L.jpg

Canon EOS 400D
Canon 100-400mm IS lens
ISO 400
1/500
f/8.0

Aidan Briggs
08-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Welcome to BPN! Nice light, Head angle, and BG. All the clutter around the bird is a bit distracting, and some of the whites are a bit hot above the feet, you might try toning them down a little.

About the comp: the bird is centered here, so I would crop some from the left to get the bird out of the center. It is always good too have more room in front of the bird than behind it.

You've certainly come to the best place to improve your images.

Looking forward to more!

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Chris and welcome. :)

To add to Aidan's points I would also comment that the partly opened wings are not quite ideal (at least for my taste anyway). Also the fact the dark bill is not as easy to separate from the rest of the plumage, hence why a more side-on view would be better aesthetically. At least the raptor is sharp and the general IQ is pretty good so you are on track to creating stronger images. Thanks for sharing and look forward to more. :)

Stephen Stephen
08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Welcome Chris. Both Aidan and Akos have provide some good constructive comments on your image and I support them all. Keep creating images and posting them.

Chris Sloan
08-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Great feedback. I am curious about the comment about the wings being partly spread; I really like that because it adds a sense of action to the photo. I have a 100 pictures of this bird sitting on the tree and most are pretty boring. I pulled this one out of a series of flight shots. Maybe I'll post one of the others soon.

In any event, here is a new edited version based on some of the earlier feedback. Thoughts?

http://csloan.smugmug.com/photos/623822433_pcYq9-L.jpg

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Your repost rocks! Big time. Still plenty of detail which is a huge plus. Well done mate. :)

Doug Brown
08-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Welcome to BPN Chris! The repost is a big improvement; you did well with the tighter crop and removing the BG distractions. Exposure and sharpness are excellent. Eye contact is good. Wing position could be better. Look forward to more of your images!

Charlie VanTassel
08-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I agree, the repost is way better. Still plenty of detail and less clutter.

Harshad Barve
08-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Big welcome to BPN
repost is far better here
TFS