PDA

View Full Version : Hogsback Vista

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I created this image during my pre-DSLR days with the Kodak Z612 Bridge Camera.

We undertook the gruelling Amatola Hiking Trail in the Eastern Cape rural regions of South Africa. The trail spans over 106km and takes 6 days to complete as you climb up and down various mountains and ravines, cross about 27 waterfalls in total and trudge through dense indigenous forests.

This photo was taken on the last day as we scaled the 3rd (and last) 'Hogsback peak'. This area is astoundingly beautiful and diverse and also served as inspiration for JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth during his time living in our country.

I flipped the image horizontally to make the eye flow easily deeper into the image. This was very high up, and time of day was about noon! One day I'll go back with my tripod and DSLR camera...

Your C&C are appreciated, as always!

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey Morkel,
Not bad for noon....clouds definitely saved you! I'd definitely start from the short end though next time and try this again!.....definitely worth a revisit but this was nicely composed....nice job using the rocks on the diagonal in the FG.....may want to try and re-work the PP'ing there....just to bring it up some more.....but I do realize how much you lose in compression.....so just something for you to play around with! Nice job!

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
thanks Roman - yeah I had to upload this @ about 60% quality since doing work on the JPG shots from the old camera seems to take up more space than working from RAW on my DSLR.

any suggestions to make it pop more? I already applied reverse-S-curve, selective colour, local contrast enhancement, color balance, etc.

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey Morkel,
Try a multiplied layer on just the middle ground....vary the opacity to see what seems best. If you want.....post the original and give everyone a whack at it!
PS IF you choose that options.....everyone please post the specifices of what you did so Morkel could re-create it!

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
thanks for the suggestion Roman

herewith the original out-of-camera jpg, resized with nothing else done.
would love to see what all the experts on BPN can do with this...

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
OK gang...have at it!!!....but remember....post the specifics of what you did so Morkel can re-create it!

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Morkel,
Here's my attmept; flipped and rotated canvas to match your OP. Small reverse s-curve to tame some contrast. Rotate 0.5 CW and cropped. S/H 9/28/30 on shadows and 21/50/30 highlights. Adjustment layer on the FG levels input 3/0.95/204. S/H sky...0 on shadow....9/35/30 HL. Middle ground levels layer 18/0.93/243.......LCE on FG and MG....20/30/0.....and finally b/c layer on FG +3 brightness and +8 contrast. Let me know what you think. BTW...ND filter would have helped in the field!!!:cool:
PS I would eriously consider cloning/patching some of the whiter cloud areas..........the blown whites draw the eye.....doing that will only lessen the impact and help the jpeg!

Morkel Erasmus
08-20-2009, 02:32 PM
thanks Roman! really appreciate your efforts. I like the fact that your version has a darker sky.
tell me - when you set up contrast/level layers, how do you blend them back - at which opacity?

denise ippolito
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Morkel, I like this. It's an interesting view.Roman's repost really brings it to life. I think the FG grasses add alot to the composition. IMO.

Roman Kurywczak
08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey Morkel,
When I do any layer adjustment....immediately after doing the adjustment I use Filter>blur>gausian blur....and vary the slider until the edge blends......but not too much....you get halos.....to little....still see edges. I do opacities to what looks good to me......I don't have a set amount.....I always vary it. Hope this helps.

Morkel Erasmus
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
thanks for commenting Denise and for the tips Roman! will play around with them