PDA

View Full Version : Finchlette

Kerry Perkins
08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
This little junior finch was so obliging to come and perch for me! I literally stood and waited for a finch to come to this tree at Satwiwa because I knew that they would be there at a certain time (an hour before sunset). Getting junior was a bonus! ;)

This shot was right on the edge of working in many ways (assuming that it did!) - no tripod, big focal length, low light, etc... I can assure you that a good tripod and gimbal head is on my list but not for a while. Trying to push the limits of what I have. :) It was almost sunset, so the light was low and soft. I would normally push the EC to +1 2/3 or more for a bird like this, but I thought +2/3 would be enough and it worked out pretty well. I know the bird is pretty centered, but it seems to work for this shot. What do you think?

50D, EF400mm f/5.6L IS + 1.4x = 560mm
Aperture priority, f/8@1/1000, evaluative metering EC +2/3 ISO 400 WB 5100K
Manual focus, HH, no flash

Thanks for your comments!

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
08-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Good HA, good perch, and very funny spread legs pose. I don't mind the bird being in the center, but might try to crop off the sky at the top off a bit and see what happen. Also might run noise reduction in the back ground also. Good captured, well worth the wait.

Alfred Forns
08-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Kerry I like your reasoning for the equipment and tech settings !!!

Did real well with the bird being sharp hh and nailed the exposure. Center placement is good Agree with comments on the bg I normally use a brush form PhotoKit and smooth it out, can also select the sky and apply some gaussian blur !!

Lance Peters
08-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Love the composition Kerry - Centreed does not bother me here - agree with some NR on the background.
Cool :)

Harold Davis
08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
you got a jr!! that's awesome. great pose, nice perch and like the center placement. agree about the NR on the bg. i might slightly sharpen the eye too. nice job kerry.

Gus Cobos
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
I like the centered capture and pose Kerry...the u-fork of the branch balances your subject quite well, might run a little noise reduction in the background...good show...:cool:

denise ippolito
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Kerry, I love the pose, HA and the perch looks nice. Love that you were able to capture a young one with his feet spread! Really cute!!!

Ron Boisvert
08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Kerry, I can only second all the previous comments. A little background NR and you have a great shot! I'd say it was definitely worth the wait and you handled it perfectly. Nice work!!

Bob Miller
08-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Kerry...i like the shot ...very cute pose...NR is all it needs to be a great shot!

arash_hazeghi
08-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Very beautiful shot, what a fragile balance! Center composition works because of the branches giving symmetry to the frame. the only issue with this photo is noise (normal for 50D) you can clean it up.