PDA

View Full Version : Limpkin visit

Mike Kell
01-02-2008, 08:31 AM
I had a very rare opportunity to photograph this elusive bird as he landed in my yard. He stayed long enough for me to grab the camera and walk out and take some close up photographs. Sony A100 and 70-200mm f2.8 with a Sony 1.4X. Was a cloudy day with sun going in and out but the Limpkin was in the shade. I got about 2 minutes before he flew away, includes grabbing the camera. Shots were hand held aperture mode f4.
The grass background and wall are uninteresting to say the least. I tried cloning out the wall but my impression was that was even more boring. Photo was converted from raw with Photoshop CS3. Interested to hear critique and ideas to make this shot more interesting.
http://jmkell.com/2007_Limpkin.jpg

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 09:02 AM
One neat visitor to your yard !!!!!!! I think the greatest improvement would have been a lower angle I does change the perspective entirely making for a smoother fg/bg .... that is if you are able to and there is nothing strange behind the bird (we always assume)

Terry Eddington
01-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Good reaction, TBMike. I like the idea of going lower if possible and, since you seem open to PS manipulation I'd try blurring the background and foreground even more. There's nothing better than getting a visitor like this to your own yard! :D

Lana Hays
01-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Welcome, TBMike
Oh if only I had such nice visitors in my backyard. I think you did well for a quick "grab shot". As suggested, a lower shooting angle would have helped the BG. If you couldn't have gotten lower, perhaps shooting a vertical would have at least removed most, if not all of the wall. I don't know how much....if any cropping was done, but perhaps try cropping to a vertical and adding some canvas at the top and then try some blurring of the BG.

Jim Neiger
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Mike,

It's nice to have such interesting and cooperative subjects close to home. I have Limpkins in my backyard regularly. I agree with great suggestions you have received from the others.

Mike Kell
01-10-2008, 08:02 AM
There was a house just out of view behind him and I was shooting over a hedge to avoid spooking him but a lower angle is a very good idea I will keep in mind for the future.