PDA

View Full Version : Baobabs at Night

Rich Ikerd
08-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Baobabs at Night, Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
D300, 12-24mm @ 14mm, f/4 @ 30 seconds, iso 1600

Not a technically good image since I didn't bring the tripod to Africa with me (definitely will next time!). The camera is propped up on a chair and supported by miscellaneous things to try and keep it steady. Triggered with the timer. Just wanted to share since it gives an interesting look to these wonderfully photogenic trees.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Rich
I love this image, it's such a great idea and the execution is far from shabby.

You should consider double posting it in the OOTB forum. This would be a cool addition to the already mad bunch contained therein.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Is this picture PS, the colors are crazy, Love it:) Roman told me you never forget your Tripod, right Roman:D Cool picture

Rich Ikerd
08-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Is this picture PS, the colors are crazy, Love it:) Roman told me you never forget your Tripod, right Roman:D Cool picture

No these are colors right out of the camera. Granted, the white balance is set at 3600K which really cools the image down a lot. I have the same image with the white balance at 9000K at it is a totally different look.

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey Rich,
Pretty wild! did you flash/illuminate the trees or was it just from the moonlight? 20 lashes with a wet noodle for forgetting the tripod (YAC Kyle Marie!:D)...but an nice improv nevertheless. Pretty wild for the limitations and I think you composed it pretty well too! Just a litle more seperation between the main trees and the distant ones.....not to bad on the noise either!

Rich Ikerd
08-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey Roman. Yeah, it was a pretty wild evening. We had someone start on the left of the trees and then run behind them after everyone tripped their shutter, setting off a flash twice for each tree. It was a great time (way too much laughing) since it took us about ten tries before we got the flashes in the right spot (and not showing on the ground). Tough to run through the bushes in the dark in the wilds of Africa. Fortunately we had the camp guard helping out to keep us safe, though he kept getting more and more nervous as we continued our escapades. As for the tripod, I left it at home at the recommendation of our tour leader who said we probably wouldn't need it on this first trip to Africa. Definitely my bad for listening - as you've said, never go anywhere without your tripod!!

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2009, 04:13 PM
I really like the effect you achieved here. Baobabs are wonderful trees. love the tones and the moonlight captured.