PDA

View Full Version : Purity II

Ramesh Adkoli
08-17-2009, 01:32 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2449/3828684653_c1ff4686d6_o.jpg

Here is another Geranium in pure white splendor. Earlier post is here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42888 . Appreciate your views and comments.

EXIF: D700, 105mm Micro VR, 1/30s, f/18, -0.3EV, ISO 200, tripod mount, available light
PP: cloned out the small parts of another flower on the back, levels, selective curves, selective color.

regards,
ramesh

Julie Kenward
08-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Ramesh, I think this is a big improvement over the first one. You've managed to eliminate the distractions in the BG and really bring the flower up as the central focal point. I like that you have the plant on a bit of a lean towards the left - I think if you had turned the camera a little more you could have managed to squeeze in the partial bud that got cut off on the right side also - making for an even stronger composition.

Lovely lighting on this - the greens almost glow and the whites are spot on. Nice exposure!

Ramesh Adkoli
08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks a lot for those positive comments, Julie. I really appreciate your taking time to review this. About that bud - in fact, there were many others on RHS. Including one more would cut off another;-(. So i had to focus on getting the flower correctly.

Regards,
ramesh

Mike Moats
08-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey Ramesh, I understand your reason on the bud, I've had this same problem. If you're not a purist you might consider pinching of some of the buds to help the comp, I've done this a few times, but understand if you would rather not do this. Like the nice lighting and good job on the white. Good sharp details.

Steve Maxson
08-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Good sharpness and I love the subtle tones in the whites, Ramesh. I understand your compositional challenge with additional buds on the right, but, for me, the one clipped bud detracts from an otherwise excellent image. :)

denise ippolito
08-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Ramesh, I would have nipped the bud before taking the image. I think the lighting and the details are terrific!

Joe Senzatimore
08-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Detail in the flower is amazing as is the exposure. Aside from the clipped bud , this is outstanding. In fact , I don't mind the clipped bud at all.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks a lot, Mike, Steve, Denise, and Joe for your views. No, Denise, I wouldn't nip the bud and would try to workaround or live with such aspects that are inherent part of the subject. Just like nature, i would accept that a photograph would have its imperfections too. Otherwise, the image would look too made up, IMHO.

regards,
ramesh

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Very nice, I love the comp, and the flower is very sharp IMO, and i love the buds as well, as you said it shows the true nature of the picture, excellent job :):D

denise ippolito
08-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Ramesh, I respect your point regarding the bud. I was just stating what I would have done. However IMHO I do feel if you are going to present the best possible image-the bud should be completely included or excluded and not cut in half off the frame.