PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Hawk Surprise Visit

Gus Hallgren
08-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi Folks:

Wasn't ready to post, however, while playing around in my garden this afternoon taking some cactus photos I glimpsed this larger bird swooping down to the road in front trying to retrieve something he dropped, it got my attention. Suddenly this car came around the circle and frightened the bird away. I kept looking at the dead bird on the road for awhile, but nothing was happening so I went back inside for some orange juice. When I rteturned thed bird was gone from the road, so hunting around I found this Cooper Hawk having a late lunch. He was in the shade under a tree with a very mixed BG. Took a few photos and I thought this was the best. I took the liberty of Quick masking, cloning, and slight blurring to create a smoother BG, and this is my first effort since my eye operation.

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Uncle Gus

Olympus E-620 IS, and Zuiko 70-300 ED @ 340mm
Aperture priority, 1/60, F/5.6, ISO 200, 0.30ev, Auto WB

Jeff Cashdollar
08-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Gus,

Image looks worked a bit, several clone/mask marks spread around and a bunch to the right of the head. Consideration you just had eye surgery, you did great. Looks like mixed light too, nice work for healing eyes and a back yard fast paced operation. I hope your recovery is coming along well.

Gus Cobos
08-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Uncle Gus,
I hope you are recovering fast...I like your capture, I like the placement of the subject in frame, looking over his shoulder...the eye is sharp and clear...I agree with Jeff on the point mentioned, I would like to add that the image is a tad under exposed. Recommend on adjusting the mid-tones and opening up the shadows...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Gus Hallgren
08-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi folks

Here's the original, appreciate any reworks.

Best regards

Uncle Gus

BTW: With new laptop trying to calibrate monitor to look same on everyone else's is a slight problem. Using eye one display 2 with Nvidia Geforce display driver . However, think I will get 20" auxillary to match everyone else as angle of laptop monitor makes a considerable difference.

Lance Peters
08-17-2009, 05:31 AM
heres what I was thinking - just real quick.......

Gus Hallgren
08-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi Lance;

I like that, "less is more."

Thank you

Uncle Gus

Gus Hallgren
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi Folks

Recalibrated my monitor this morning and re-adjusted original post. What do you think?

Uncle Gus

Christopher Miller
08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi Gus. Repost looks much better, just see some obvious clone marks in the BG that I would clean up. Hope you're recovering well :)

Harold Davis
08-17-2009, 03:09 PM
UG!!!!! it's good to see you around again!! i did not know you were going for surgery and all the best to you in your recovery. love your hawk. lance's repost did the trick and yours in the right direction. agree with chris. i can still see a few clone marks. keep up the good work!!

Alfred Forns
08-17-2009, 09:53 PM
It was the monitor !!!! ... was worried about your eyes Gus but they are doing just fine !!! :) Amazing stuff around your yard !!!

... when you do any cloning work try zooming in on the area for easier viewing !!!