PDA

View Full Version : Six-spot Burnet

Karl Günter Wünsch
08-16-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.lithos-mineralien.de/birdphotographers/zyganea_filipendulae_0215_bp.jpg
Zyganea filipendulae, Embken, NRW, Germany. Before taking this image I never noticed that the black scales on the wings of this insect sometimes have an underlying color tone - this was visible in the field without the flash, but the use of the fill flash (dark subject against the evening sky) accentuated this...
Canon 50D, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 @ f/9, 1/80, ISO 100, fill flash @ -1 2/3 FEC.

Julie Kenward
08-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Nice image, Karl! Composition feels perfect to me - good diagonal going across the page and not too tight in the frame. My only other thought is to possibly tone down the wheat perch just a bit as it feels like its drawing a lot of my attention.

Mike Moats
08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Hey Karl, nice sharp details, like the glittery look in the wings. I keep wanting to turn my head when I look at this as I think it would also work well as a vertical.

Karl Günter Wünsch
08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey Karl, nice sharp details, like the glittery look in the wings. I keep wanting to turn my head when I look at this as I think it would also work well as a vertical.
Thanks.
Now that you mention it, I too think it would work but then I'd probably mirror the image as well :-)
I can't put my finger on it but a left bottom to right top diagonal seems to suit the subject better than a simple rotation by 90°...

Steve Maxson
08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
I like the behavior depicted, Karl. The sharpness, DOF, comp, and background are also very nice. As an alternate opinion, I would prefer a less "flashed" look on the wings - but that's a matter of taste, I expect. :)