PDA

View Full Version : Chicory #2 - This Bud's for You

Ed Vatza
08-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Another Chicory image from yesterday's morning foray in search of wildflowers. This image was made about an hour before the Chicory image I posted yesterday (different flower also). The flowers, which close overnight, were still closed tight here.

Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm macro lens; tripod-mounted.

1/4 sec @ f/16; ISO 100; +1/3 EV

denise ippolito
08-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Ed, I like your image design and the details look great. The BG is perfect!! I don't love the OOF small leaf in the front. The tiny water drops on the right are fantastic!!

Julie Kenward
08-17-2009, 07:31 AM
The only negative I can find on these two chickory photos of yours is that both of them have the bloom very much in the center. You've got the plant on a lovely diagonal in both cases but I'm wondering if the bloom would be nicer closer to the upper - or lower - ROT's position.

Steve Maxson
08-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Beautiful colors, good exposure, and a great background, Ed. Both Denise and Julie make good points, though they are minor criticisms, IMO. Well done.

Ed Vatza
08-18-2009, 04:20 PM
The only negative I can find on these two chickory photos of yours is that both of them have the bloom very much in the center. You've got the plant on a lovely diagonal in both cases but I'm wondering if the bloom would be nicer closer to the upper - or lower - ROT's position.

Hi Jules,

Hey rules are made to be broken!

Seriously, here's the scoop. In both cases the flower I chose to shoot was mid-stem rather than at the end of the stem. Simply put, there is stem leading into the flower and stem leading out of the flower. Regardless of how I tried to reposition the actual flower/bud, there was, in my opinion, either too much stem leading in or too much stem leading out. So I chose to center. If the flower was at the end of the stem I would have pulling this bud to the LR and the flower in the other Chicory image to the LL so both were opening into the frame. But since they were both mid-stem, centering was the way to go.

Hope that explains it!