PDA

View Full Version : Serengeti Leopard

Ralph Bendjebar
08-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Took this image on a Gustafson Photo Safari last summer in the Serengeti. The Leopard was mostly sleeping in an Acacia and there was only a small window that allowed an unobstructed view. Other vans had got there first and we had to wait our turn. When it was our turn, the leopard suddenly woke and I got off a few shots while he looked straight into the lens. This was my favorite. All comments welcome. Thanks for looking!

Canon 1D MkIII, EF 500mm f/4 IS @ 1/60 sec, f8, ISO 400, EV +2/3, 580 II Flash @ -1 w/ Better Beamer, PP LR 2

Sabyasachi Patra
08-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Ralph,
It is always nice to see a leopard. You did well with the sharpness at the low shutter speed. In this case, the foreleg being partially visible bothers me. I would have loved a tight portrait of the head in this case.

Is it mandatory to watch the leopard for a few minutes and then move away?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Mandel
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Ralph:

I really like the leg hanging down as is the body in the background. It gives it a real sense of the leopard lounging in the tree in a very relaxed position. If it was a portrait we would not get a sense of the restful position of the animal. Too many times portraits are shot when more of the animal could be included like this. Well done!

Per the previous comment, I do believe that one's guide has to determine when to move off so that others waiting for a picture can have a turn. It may not be "mandatory" but it is most certainly good manners!

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2009, 03:35 PM
great sharpness on the lens at that shutter speed! I tend to agree with Steve here, showing the leg dangling made me look twice to figure out what was going on...

Leopards are always special to witness and you had a great opportunity here.

Harshad Barve
08-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Beautiful image , great sharpness, nice resting Leopard, it works for me as posted
TFS

Ajit Huilgol
08-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Lovely sharp image and great use of flash, Ralph, but at first glance, the rest of the body looks as if it belongs to another leopard.

Danny Laredo
08-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Nice Leopard you got here...lovely eye contact.

I too would have gone with a tighter crop.

As for your question Sabyasachi, there is no time limit, not in a public or private. Thats said,
in a public reserve, one does tend to move along faster then in a private.

Vivek Khanzode
08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi Ralph

First of all, thanks for sharing. We tried looking for a leopard during my last trip to India and finally gave up; never saw the animal. So, I am always interested in leopard shots.

I like the look of the animal and the sharpness, but I would've preferred a shot which was horizontally framed and included the Acacia environs. It would not make the foreleg stand out so much. I do understand how difficult it is get a shot; so a shot is better than no shot.

Again, thanks for sharing.

-- Vivek

David Fletcher
08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Brilliant sharpness for this. Done well there. Understand and agree with points raised so no need to repeat. Re the "time" thing, mostly there, it is matter of etiquette. (Most of the drivers are known to each other and the balancing act being giving enough time for their clients and consideration for their colleagues, for each will surely need it themselves). VWD!

Kiran Khanzode
08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
I like the image for the sharpness, direct eye contact and the catch/flash light in the eyes.

Knowing how tough it is to even sight one, leave alone photographing one, it's a great photo.

Where in Serengeti ?

Steve Canuel
08-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Nice detail and color. I like the look on the leopard's face. The hanging leg is a bit prominent and does immediately draw my eye before moving to the face/eyes.

Ralph Bendjebar
08-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. As to the low shutter speed - yes, I was lucky to get a sharp image, but this was mainly due to the Leopard being still and my rig being mounted on a secure platform called a Todd Pod designed by Todd Gustafson for mounting on a Safari Van rooftop. As to the composition, let me just say that I only had a few moments while the Leopard was awake and looking in our direction to get off a few frames. Because of the tightness of our "window," I chose vertical for most of my frames. The image I posted is slightly cropped from the original frame.
In reference to the question asked by several of you in regard to the time frame of what is allowed or considered to be reasonable when photographing rare wildlife, there is no hard and fast rule that governs in all cases. The drivers/guides, as mentioned, all pretty much know each other, and while beholden to their clients to do what they can to get the image, will not remain on best angle indefinitely, in order not to antagonize the others. In this particular case, we had to wait patiently for the best angle until the other vans, which had gotten there before us and therefore had first dibs, surrendered their position to the next van in line. For most of that time, the Leopard was sleeping, and it was just our luck that the Leopard woke when we had the best angle (No, we did not do anything to make the Leopard look up, like make noise, as that can be the cause of our guide/driver being reported for harassment and result in loss of his license).
The location of this photograph is in the south-eastern corner of the park, near the entrance road just east of the Naabi Hills entrance.