PDA

View Full Version : Taming harsh light

Alfred Forns
02-08-2008, 02:22 PM
One way to tame harsh light and be able to come up with a decent image when shooting around water is to photograph the reflection Forget the rest

More often than not when a pretty reflection is available we try getting the bird and reflection together Is early soft light it works but not late in the day One solution is to shoot the reflection only With harsh light and no wind is usually a good solution This one posted below is close to what I like to do The water was not perfectly still but I felt that it gave a pleasing result

Top image is the entire bird with reflection The bottom the reflection In this case it is a crop You would compose without the top part of the image and flip

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Alfred Forns
02-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Reflection turned upside down

Peter Hawrylyshyn
02-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Alfred -
A neat tip which i'd never noticed before.
Having just spent a week in Florida's harsh afternoon sun - is there anything else one can do either at the time of the photo or in PS to salvage images taken in harsh sunlight - - or is the answer it's just better to get up early or stay home until late afternoon?
I see you're enjoying the new 600mm lens
Peter

Harold Davis
02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
nice perspective, mr alfred. i'll have to give that one a try sometime!!

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Alfred, you can do this standing on your head and then don't have to rotate it later in PSCS.:D:eek:

Peter, that's why we get up early. Right now I photograph pre-dawn to around 9:30 to 10 AM then again from 4 PM to sunset.

Alfred Forns
02-08-2008, 05:29 PM
......... you made me laugh Robert :D:D:D:D I needed that !!!! :cool:

Would take Robert's advice Up early nap mid day shoot late afternoon !!!!!!

Peter Hawrylyshyn
02-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I-95 is OK pre-dawn, but you'll have to work on the afternoon rush hour, you can't get anywhere late afternoon in Broward county

Alfred Forns
02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Traffic can be a problem If I am shooting all day around North Broward County/Palm Beach would probably nap in the car mid day Not much you can do and the head is oppressive !!!!