PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-spotted dragonfly

Milan V
08-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Yellow-spotted dragonfly Somatochlora flavomaculata

Canon 40D, Canon 100mm macro, ISO 200, 1/160, f11
PP: no crop, colours, contrast, sharpness
Regarding room in the front... I always left more infront of the animal:)

http://www.pbase.com/milv/image/116111579.jpg

Best!
Milan

Ramesh Adkoli
08-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Super sharp image, Milan. Nice perch for the insect and a fantastic BG too. Those shadows give a 3-D perspective. Well done! I would have loved to see the whole insect or only the body just until the wings. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Julie Kenward
08-16-2009, 08:39 AM
It is a nice image, Milan but I feel the same way - I find myself wanting to either see the entire insect or perhaps a head on view of him. As is, the composition feels a little side heavy and cut off in an odd spot.

On the positive side, you got great details, a beautiful BG (especially for f11!) and it is nicely exposed!

Kurtis Diffenbaugh
08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Great exposure and wonderful detail (those leg hairs, wow!)

I have mixed feelings on the composition. On one hand I like the space on the right, as sometimes I feel that people over fill the frame with the subject and don't allow any space. On the other hand the detail is so good on the dragonfly I would love the entire thing. Maybe also try a shot pulled back so the entire dragonfly is in the image but also leave some space in front? (Position it so the dragonfly takes up a little more than 2/3 of the frame.)

I do agree with the Julie that it is cutoff in an odd spot, but I think you could minimize this feeling with some cropping of the right side of the image. A head on view would be interesting but you could not get the depth of field. Overall very nice work.

Joe Senzatimore
08-16-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm with the others on the comp. I love the detail captured and the BG is killer as are the shadows which add depth to the image.

Ed Vatza
08-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Have to agree with the others so I won't belabor the point. But excellent detail along with a beautiful perch and background. Nicely done.

Steve Maxson
08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Very good sharpness, exposure, and background, Milan. The comp has been discussed above. The pose, with the legs sort of draped over the stem, suggests to me that this was not a healthy, fully alert specimen - and please correct me if I am wrong about this. :)

Milan V
08-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Very good sharpness, exposure, and background, Milan. The comp has been discussed above. The pose, with the legs sort of draped over the stem, suggests to me that this was not a healthy, fully alert specimen - and please correct me if I am wrong about this. :)
Hi!
Thanks to all.
Steve, I can not say anything about that, since after a few photos dragonfly dissaper, I guess he was OK.

Best!
Milan

Steve Maxson
08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
OK. Thanks for the followup, Milan. :)