PDA

View Full Version : A close encounter with Dunlin.

Julian Mole
08-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi,

Today I was lucky enough to come across a pair of extremely relaxed Dunlin, hence I was able to take many photos at point blank range. However on getting home and reviewing the downloaded images I realised I completely forgot to add some depth of field, so a great many images have only a small amount of the subject bird in focus! :-(

This was one of the best I took.

Canon 20D, 400 5.6 lens plus 56mm of extension tubes
Av mode, EC +1, 1/640s, f/5.6, ISO 400
Full frame

Any comments welcome, plus any thoughts on which f-ratio I should use in future in these circumstances.

Thanks,

Julian.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/Julian_Mole/IMG_9579resizesusm30ss70bgnr8bit.jpg

Indranil Sircar
08-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Excellent composition, Julian. Great light, exposure and details.

Gus Cobos
08-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Julian,
I like the composition, image and capture...you have a good head angle and sharp eye contact, and superb feather details...the color rendition is very good...I like it...my only suggestion is to take out the small water droplet on the top of the bird's back; my eye keeps going there...aside from this, well done...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
08-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi Julian

For limited dof just focus on the eye, if you get it sharp the rest will look just fine !!! Having the perfect head angle also helps since it will place the bill tip in the same plane as the eye.

I know the 400 5.6 has a poor close up performance but I'm surprised you needed that much extension. Haven't used mine for a while but maybe 25 should get you in the ballpark? Mighty fine image Big Congrats !!!

Lance Peters
08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Very Nice Julian - A great HA and a gorgeous BG - DOF is fine for me - not much more you could ask for - Well done :)

Julian Mole
08-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Hi Indranil,

Thank you for your generous comments. :)

Julian Mole
08-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi Gus,

Thank you for the feedback.

How would you suggest I remove the water droplet in Photoshop? I tried using the Clone Stamp but wasn't totally convinced with the result, is that the best tool for the job?

PS. I couldn't see anything that refers to this kind of thing in the Educational Resources Forum.

Julian Mole
08-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Hello Alfred,

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I used 56mm of extension tubes is that they got too close for the single 20mm I had been using! Several times I tried backing up slightly, but they soon came closer again, when this happened I just lifted my eye from the viewfinder and admired the view - they were so close I could have reached out touched them!!

Julian Mole
08-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Thank you, Lance.

PS. Am looking forward to the deciding Ashes Test this week! :)

Harold Davis
08-16-2009, 11:05 AM
awesome detail and sharpness. only suggestion would be to get rid of the specular highlights on the bill. this is a beauty!

Bob Miller
08-17-2009, 12:19 AM
I agree with harold.This is a real beauty- something to be really proud of. i would try the clone tool again at high magnification of 100% and just work very slow. Always work on a copy!

Julian Mole
08-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Hello Harold and Bob,

Thank you for the compliments on my photo.

I shall have another go at carefully removing the water droplet using the Clone Stamp (I just wasn't satisfied with the result first time I tried it).

All the best,

Julian.