PDA

View Full Version : sinset on mapumalanga mountains S.Africa

Valerio Tarone
02-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi this is first image I get to join you. Mapumalanga , calld'blue mountains, are close to Kruger.
Nikon 801 ob. 24 f2,8 Dia scanned.
Critics welcome

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
02-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Overall it looks a bit dark to me and the tree in the foreground appears out of focus. Maybe a little sharpening would help with the tree and maybe see if you can adjust the exposure to lighten up the image a bit more in Photoshop (shadow/highlight tool)

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I like the very dramatic sky and the tree is nicely placed in the composition. The amount of ground in shadow is about right but a bit of crop off the bottom would help to concentrate the viewer on the sky.

The tree is out of focus and probably a function of the f/2.8 aperture. Generally, in landscapes like this you want the sky and the FG element (this case the tree) in focus so a smaller aperture is required necessitating a slow shutter speed and use of a tripod. If you have to chose, chose the tree. Lightening up the image to reveal detail in the sky will increase the drama.

Welcome and thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Harold Stiver
02-08-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm a fan of bold contrast in light like this, very dramatic. As mentioned, the lack of focus on the tree is a negative to me.

Nicely done.