PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Rocks before sunrise

Fabs Forns
08-15-2009, 04:00 PM
We went there this morning with Michael Pancier with great expectations that vanished when the sunrise was not as great as expected, knowing there's a tropical wave, that according to us was going to give us the best sunrise ever. Color didn't last long and it disappear before the sun could peak behind the clouds.
roman, please be brutal, I need to retake my landscapes days before our Tetons trip.

Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 32
ISO: 200
Aperture: 13
Shutter: 2
Processed with Nik Color Effex Complete

Julie Kenward
08-15-2009, 07:48 PM
I'll let Roman be brutal...I'm just going to say WOW. Fabs, that water...man! I would swear you painted it into the image. So that's what a 2 second shutter speed does to water, eh? I'm going to have to give it a go.

I love the clouds and the opposing rocks. I think the only thing I can find that I don't love is that the rock on the side doesn't have quite as much detail as the rocks on the bottom of the frame. Other than that...

Dang.

Nick Palmieri
08-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I love the way the FG rocks anchor this image (not sure if everyone is a fan of these types of FG subjects). The water and sky are outstanding. I agree that the rock on the left may need a bit more light/detail.

Alfred Forns
08-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Fine image Fabs I didn't notice the different motion of the water as it was receding rather than coming toward us !! Does make a difference Love the feel and mood !!!

Dave Mills
08-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi Fabs, beautiful light and great looking water. The bottom silouette does frame that area nicely but there is something about the large rocks dominance on the left that bothers me. Possibly because it's become such an important part of the image it's competing with my eyes attention. Could also be that the prettiest area of the sky is pushed way over to the right edge causing me to go back and forth.

Roman Kurywczak
08-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Fabs,
Here goes!........This is composed very well......so nothing to really correct there.....the diagonal of the rock gap leads us nicely to the rising sun. The clouds on the left balance the wave top nicely also but for me......the overall image was dark. I loved the silkiness from the long exposure but you lost some of it's impact because the FG rocks are pretty dominant. You didn't mention whether you used the split ND.....on the diagonal.....mostly covering the brightest yellow area.....and possibly 2 stacked(because of the small amount of sky)with the slear part all the way at the bottom of the lens......would have been the way to go.....but would have lengthened the SS......and made the water a bit brighter......you never know what effect that will have on the wave action.....until you try....so bracket the SS using either the Vari ND....or just play around with the f-stop and ISO.... at f22 you would have almost an 8 sec. exposure......not sure what that would look like......but I would definitely bracket with SS.....and see which water effect you liked best.
In the repost.....I did 5 seperate small layers levels adjustments.....avoiding the brightest sunrise area altogether.......now this may be too bright for some......so just vary the opacity......but adding that bit of detail in the rocks just seems to work better for me. I had total confidence in you doing landscapes......because you have an excellent compositional eye (that's the hard part)......my corrections are just tweaks to taste and personal asthetics. Let me know what you think......and I'll have to send you a PM....because I will be there so we may have to go out and do a few together!

Rich Ikerd
08-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Beautiful colors and good composition Fabs. The shutter speed added just the right amount of blur to the water while still retaining some detail of the incoming waves. I like Roman's suggestions for brightening the foreground rocks a bit; since there is not a prominent silhouetted subject there, I think the detail enhances the image. Can't wait to see your Teton images!