PDA

View Full Version : Marbled Godwit

Hilke Breder
08-15-2009, 02:01 PM
While visiting the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge on Plum Island and watching some peeps on the North Pool, this bird suddenly flew in and landed fairly close to the observation area. As we watched it was making its way slowly through the deep mud and after about 5 min took off again. The day was overcast and the light diffuse.

Hilke Breder
onejackdawbirding.blogspot.com

Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Sigma OS 150 - 500 mm f/5.0-6.3
Exposure: 1/320 sec at f/6.3
Exposure Bias: 1/3 EV
ISO 400
Focal Length 500 mm

Alfred Forns
08-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Excellent image Hike !!! Desirable bird and good capture.

I like the sharpness, exposure and head angle Might lighten the bird just a tad but its mostly taste. The one thing that would have helped is getting flat on the mud for an ultra smooth bg !!!!

PS wise not sure what you can do with the white splotches in the bg, they sort of grab my attention !!

denise ippolito
08-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Hilke, Really nice looking image and details look good. Agree with lightening the bird a bit. The blotches in the BG could probably be toned down.

Gus Cobos
08-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi Hilke,
I like the capture...you have sharp details...would recommend on toning down the warm whites in the background and opening up the mid-tones on your subject...would have liked to have seen a lower capture angle...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Lance Peters
08-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi - Agree with the above comments from the gang - only way to improve would have been AL'S suggestion of getting flat on the mud - some spare clothes might have been called for ;)

Hilke Breder
08-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for your helpful suggestions re BG and toning down the warm whites. About getting down in the mud, I am not that dedicated to the art of photography :-)

Hilke

Jeff Cashdollar
08-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Nice picture, bird is a tad dark. Hard exposure with AV. Mid-tones against light background, camera will try and underexpose and you compensated with the +1/3. Maybe selectively lighten subject, overall, well done nice picture. I love the feet dragging thru the mud.

Bob Miller
08-17-2009, 12:01 AM
This image only needs a better background - otherwise very bnice!