PDA

View Full Version : Gold Finch

Nonda Surratt
02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Probably one for th HAP:) Anyone has some spare sun, even light overcast send this way please, yes I'm whining:p

30D, 300f2.8L+2xtc@ F8, ISO 400, 1/400, car/beanbag.

Alfred Forns
02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
A beauty Nonda Interesting perch Sort of competes with the bird but its so unusual I love it Having the bird parallel to the plane allows the dof to cove from bill to tail Sharp and excellent color Big Congrats !!!

Peter Hawrylyshyn
02-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Nonda -
i'd be happy with the image - unique perch, good exposure and sharpness, lovely BG colors
HAP will probably want more of a head turn and suspect some might comment/object to the two OOF ?grass blades? which you could easily mask/clone out for a uniform soft BG
nicely done

Gus Hallgren
02-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi Nonda, Super photo, nice to see an American Goldfinch, as we have the Lesser in a couple of varities. Want Sun, we have clear vivid blue suny skies, and my wife is out on the patio getting a tan. Background adds a nice complimentary natural touch. Well done . . . Gus

Nonda Surratt
02-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks folks! The perch is pretty normal for GF's around here, wild thistle. Already used a bit of QM on this to get rid of a really wide light streak that went down the right side, always bugged me but cloning wasn't the answer.

Ok Gus sun and warm..geez. I'll take sun and snow, sun and cold,but cold and socked in gloom blech! By next Thursday we will have 'partially' cloudy skies.

Gus Hallgren
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Nonda,

Wild Thistle . . Wow, that's the only thing that will attract Goldfinches here, and you have to give an arm and a leg to buy it from even Walmart . . . one of the compensations for no sun . . eh!

Gus

Fabs Forns
02-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Very pretty Sondra. A head turn your way may taken it over the top, but very nice as presented :)

Nonda Surratt
02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks Fabs!

Gus, Ohio's state weed is the thistle.....:-)

Howard Burkert
02-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I like the image and how you handled the exposure, I agree with the above comments. Nice to hear the the quick mask is working out for you!! What a CD, can't wait for the new one. I am feeding about 15 Gold Finches this winter and can't wait for them to get their color back. And yes this has been a real Ohio winter !! Think Spring..
Best,
Howard.

Nonda Surratt
02-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks Howard.

I'm feeding several here as well and yes it is Feb in Ohio, I've always called it the dark month. That image was made at our little local wetlands in Hebron, can be a nice migrant trap in spring.

Have some interesting and exciting things going on in my neck of the woods, who would have thunk it? So yep can't wait for spring!

Arthur Morris
02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Everything perfect except for the fact that you are indeed under arrest by the HAP. I especially love the positioning of the bird between the two stalks. And the perch too. But for me....

later and love, artie

Nonda Surratt
02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I will try very hard not to let that happen again Sir:D