PDA

View Full Version : Wild Blue

Joe Senzatimore
08-15-2009, 11:24 AM
These are still growing wild at a local pond. I have yet been able to ID the species. Any help would be great. The flower is about the size of an average pinky fingernail.
400Iso f11 at 1/320th
Flash at minus 2 stops

Roman Kurywczak
08-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey Joe,
I posted one of these on the 4th and Bob Malbon gave me this definition;

"It's in the genus Commelina, a monocot in its own family, the Commelinaceae. A common name for at least one of its species is Asiatic Blue flower, native to Asia. One such species is Commelina benghalensis. Here in southern California, it's a garden escape and aggressive weed, even invading moist wildlands mostly near urban areas"

Love the spotlit effect on this one.....just wish for a bit of bounce back on the leaf side....as I'm a fan of tight crops.....for my tastes a bit off the left and bottom would only further highlight this pain in the *ss bloom....but it is beautiful!

Ed Vatza
08-15-2009, 01:04 PM
And according to my "Wildflowers of Pennsylvania", our variety is Commelina communis aka Asiatic Dayflower. Each bloom lasts only one day. Beautiful image. I was going to post one I made this morning but I think I'll wait! :D

Joe Senzatimore
08-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks to both of you. Now i know what it is. Never figured it for a weed. I thought it was a beautiful flower and still do.

Julie Kenward
08-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Looks pretty beautiful to me! You did a very nice job of this - I love the sideview and the overall comp. I also agree with Roman - since you're showing the side of the plant a little more light to embellish it would also be nice. It's very dramatic and lovely as is but another bit right behind the green part of the flower would be a nice touch as well.

Nick Palmieri
08-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Love the three colors and the black BG. Agree with others on adding some light to the plant would be nice. Really like the composition.