PDA

View Full Version : Osprey From The Bahamas

Daniel Belasco
08-15-2009, 02:01 AM
canon 1dMKIIN 400mm f5.6 @ f5.6 1\4000 sec iso 400

Ospreys found in the Bahamas are quite different than those on the mainland in the U.S. Most noticeable the less dark areas around the face. The wing feathers are also quite different and much lighter in color. Maybe those more familiar with the ones in the states can find other differences.
I have read in some books Orinthologists have thought about naming the Bahamian Osprey a new species or at least a subspecies.

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yzuqox&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-15-2009, 04:38 AM
HI Daniel
This is I think the most impressive image of yours I've seen recently. Great eye contact and sharp as a tack. the fish is a bonus. If anything I'd love a little more light under the wing. Well done mate. :) Thanks for sharing.

Rohan Kamath
08-15-2009, 06:25 AM
i loved the exposure here and the saturation of the water... excellent HA and eye contact too... the droplets add nicely...

Erich Stevens
08-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Hi Daniel,

Interesting info about the Bahamian variety, and a great shot. Like the deep blue of the BG. The bird is moving away from you but the great head angle still puts this one over the top. Have you considered a horizontal comp?

Austin Thomas
08-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Very nice Daniel,

Good head position, action and the water droplets are are bonus. I would like more canvas on the right or a horizontal if you have more available on the original file.

Cheers

Austin

Stu Bowie
08-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Its always great to capture these guys with their catch, especially the moment its happened. Great timing, and thats a pretty large meal he's in for. I like the wing posture, HA, and sgree a little more exposure under wings would work. The droplets sprayed around the head a bonus. Well captured Daniel.

Matt Vosniak
08-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Great capture by the both of you Daniel. I like the pose a lot and the good look at the prey. My only wish is for a little more room out front.

Keith Bauer
08-15-2009, 09:59 AM
My first reaction was I wish this were a horizontal with more room in front of the bird. Nicely captured details and your timing was spot on.

Art Peslak
08-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Nice action shot. Good exposure. The water droplets and the fish make the shot.

Jeff Wear
08-15-2009, 03:32 PM
great capture , well done .The bill almost looks larger ,I think the head being so much lighter makes it stand out .Great shot and good info ,thanks

Ajit Huilgol
08-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I, too, would have preferred a horizontal image, and thanks for the info regarding the Bahamian subspecies.

Daniel Belasco
08-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments.
The orginal was horizontal so plenty of room for different crops.