View Full Version : Working Hard

Art Kornienko
08-14-2009, 08:46 PM
20D, 60 EFS 2.8, F4, ISO 200, 1/800

http://www.usefilm.com/images/5/2/2/6/5226/1337995-large.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
08-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi Art,
I'm inpressed.....you did pretty well with the shallow DOF but the focus appera to be on the front leg. I may have preferred just a touch more DOF at the expense of SS.....just to get the eyes/face and mane a little sharper. I would definitely tone down the left side of the body and highlights on the rear leg.....the BG is very nice and complimentary to the overall scene. I have seen some very nice examples of the shallow DOF here in macro and you all have inspired me to try it out......let's see if I can drag myself off f32.

Julie Kenward
08-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Really nice macro, Art! I, too, think a hint more DOF on the insect would have been nice but you did a lovely job on getting him in the focal range and keeping the flower soft and diffused.

As for the hot white spot on the bee, if you aren't against cloning, try setting the clone stamp to 30-50% and clone from the top area over the white hot spot and see if you like that. If not, change the clone stamp to "darken" and 20-30% and then use that same area to bring the hot white area back into the same color tone as the rest of the bee.

Joe Senzatimore
08-15-2009, 11:24 AM
The hot spot is tough. If it could be toned down this would be even better than it is now. Just needs a touch more DOF.

Kurtis Diffenbaugh
08-15-2009, 08:52 PM
As everyone's said nice shot. Though I think I would say a it needs more than a tad bit more DOF. I wouldn't be afraid to bump the ISO up to 400 or 640 so you could get some more DOF, but I have to say the part that is in focus is sharp. Nice work.