PDA

View Full Version : Riveting

Mike Fuhr
08-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Saw this damsel while walking across a bridge -- thought I would try something a little different. I like the monochromatic nature of the shot.

D300
100-300 F/4
300mm
F/9 (-.33)
1/500
ISO 200
Handheld (too high up for my tripod)

Christopher Miller
08-14-2009, 08:43 PM
I like it, Mike. Agree with you that the monochromatic look is very nice. Good composition, though I do think it might be even stronger if the damselfly were on the left rivet instead. Probably nothing you could do about that, though. Very well done!

Roman Kurywczak
08-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Mike,
The monochromatic effect is very nice and as presented.....I would agree with Christopher that it would be preferable to have the damselfly on the left rivet.......I don't know how long it was sitting there......and if you have or had an opportunity to slap a converter on or even better an extension tube to get just the damselflly and rivet alone! That would have out this one over the top then! You may have had to sacrifice some SS to get more dof......but you had plenty.....even pushing the ISO of the D300 to 400. I did try flipping it 180 degrees.....but the damsel is still facing out of frame....so that didn't help. The shadow adds a great deal of interest and depth.

Mike Fuhr
08-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Roman -- I also took this one...

Julie Kenward
08-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Neat images, Mike! On the top one, I'd try rotating the image just a bit to get the two rivets more into the corners - I think that might strengthen the comp a little more. I also wouldn't mind seeing a bit more selective sharpening on the DF itself.

Love the monochromatic look - and the second post is also nicely made.