PDA

View Full Version : Alaska

PatZipp
08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
My husband and I will be leaving for AK in just a few weeks. Not all of our plans have been made. We have been to AK 3 other times and we are looking for something new in the Kenai. After spending a few days in Seward we need to fill 2 or 3 days before heading to Denali. We have been to Homer...been to Katmai...
Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks Pat

Dave Taylor
08-16-2009, 10:58 PM
You might consider driving the Denali Highway from Paxson to Cantwell. On your way north from Seward, you would take the Glenn Highway out of Anchorage and then follow it to the east towards Glennallen. At Glennallen, take the Richardson north to Paxson. The Denali Hwy runs 135 miles from Paxson to Cantwell, and you would finish it just south of the Denali National Park entrance. Fall colors typically peak the first week of September and the tundra is absolutely amazing then. There is large wildlife as well, but it is hunting season then, so they are more wary. Also, birds are everywhere - many starting their migration south. But for landscapes, the entire length of the road is pretty difficult to beat... anywhere. I'm going to be on the Denali Hwy myself in early September for fall color landscapes. If you'd like, I wrote an article about my shoot there last fall. Here is a link (http://www.phototravelreview.com/united-states-denalie-highway-alaska-route-8/). Let me know if you need anything, I'm always happy to help!

Robert Amoruso
09-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Great article and images Dave. I don't see how Pat can go wrong with that.

Dave Taylor
09-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks Robert, hope you are well. I just returned from my last trip along the Denali Highway. Had amazing weather, gorgeous sunrises and sets. Also went down (and back and forth) along the Richardson Hwy as well as the Glenn Hwy. Yesterday I led a one-on-one "Day in the Field" with a great new client, and took us back out on the Glenn Hwy again. Wow... I have never seen color like that. And I grew up shooting in Northern Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota in the fall. This was like someone took a couple of highlighter markers and went all Picasso on the landscape. Aaaaa-mazing:)
If you get a chance, check out my recent Journal entries.
http://www.sixtyonenorth.com/wp