PDA

View Full Version : Software for 64 bit computer

Rod Wiley
08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know if PS Cs2 and Nikon Capture vr 1.3.3 will work on a Vista 64 bit system? Thanks

Rod Wiley
08-14-2009, 05:57 PM
The tech from Neat Image just got back to me and said as long as I run a 32 bit plugin on a 32 bit Photoshop like CS2 it will work. If I upgrade to PS 4 I will need all new 64 bit plugins.

Paul Granone
08-17-2009, 02:35 PM
I am running a Core 2 Duo, 8 GB memory, and Vista 64.

Photoshop CS4 has both a 64bit and 32bit version on the disc. You can continue to use your 32bit plugin in the 32 bit version. The 64bit version does require 64bit plugins. So your existing 32bit plugins are not lost, they only work with the 32bit copy of CS4.

64bit CS4 can address memory beyond 4 GB (you really only get about 3.2 GB with 32bit OS). I find 64bit CS4 is very fast, especially saving files.

The biggest gain in CS4 for me is the new Adobe Camera Raw v5. It is much better, and has profiles that mimic the Canon picture styles.

Rod Wiley
08-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks Paul, do you know anyone using Nikon Capture NX on a 64 pic system?

Andy Wai
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
The tech from Neat Image just got back to me and said as long as I run a 32 bit plugin on a 32 bit Photoshop like CS2 it will work. If I upgrade to PS 4 I will need all new 64 bit plugins.
In general, you can run any well behaving 32-bit program on a 64-bit system. But then you won't be able to take advantage of 64-bit features, most notable of which is access to huge amount of RAM.

In case of Neat Image, it's down to the Photoshop host. If you're running 32-bit CS2, CS4 or whatever, the old Neat Image works. If you're running 64-bit CS4, you need a copy of the 64-bit plugin. If you don't mind the hassle of running Neat Image on the 32-bit Photoshop, save the intermediate results and then run the 64-bit Photoshop for the rest, you can save a few dollars I guess. But last time I checked, Neat Image has a discount on the 64-bit version for existing 32-bit customer, so it isn't full price. And the 64-bit version is *FAST*. I think it's worth it...

Andy

Rod Wiley
08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for that info, I was wondering if I install the CS2 I'll need to call Adobe to have it activated. If I upgrade to CS4 it will write over the CS2. How can I put both versions of PS on the same computer so that I have a 32 and a 64 bit PS? That way I could run all my software at least until I upgrade all of them to 64 bit.

Andy Wai
08-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for that info, I was wondering if I install the CS2 I'll need to call Adobe to have it activated. If I upgrade to CS4 it will write over the CS2. How can I put both versions of PS on the same computer so that I have a 32 and a 64 bit PS? That way I could run all my software at least until I upgrade all of them to 64 bit.
If you're installing a CS4 upgrade on a new machine, I believe all you need is the serial number from the CS2 copy. You don't need to do a full install of CS2.

As for 32-bit and 64-bit CS4 together, when you install 64-bit CS4, there is a panel in the installation process that ask if you want to include 32-bit or not. The default is to include. But last time I checked, the Photoshop uninstaller won't let you remove just the 32-bit copy. For myself, I've fully migrated to 64-bit for a while, but I can't get rid of the 32-bit copy without uninstalling the whole thing. Sigh... Fortunately, the whole thing is running on Windows 7 RC right now. So I'll have to reinstall the entire system from scratch soon anyway :D

Andy

Paul Granone
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
I have the 64 bit neat image and it works fine in CS4 64bit. I just find that all noise reduction tends to reduce details in the image. So I personally do not find it that useful.

A great 64bit plug-in is PTlens
Use to correct lens distortion, Chromatic Abberations, vignetting, etc.
http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/
The program works with a wide range of lenses and cameras. Check the website. The program is donateware and inexpensive.

James Shadle
08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Rod,
Capture NX runs well on my Vista 64 operating system.
James

Rod Wiley
08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but thanks for the respose and all your advice.