PDA

View Full Version : Black Bellied Plovers?

Aidan Briggs
08-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Anyone know some good spots for approachable Black Bellied Plovers? The only ones I could find around here were really skittish. The closer to San Luis Obisbo County the better.

Anyone know anything about Half Moon Bay, or Shoreline Park?

Thanks

Joerg Rockenberger
08-14-2009, 02:31 PM
You mean Shoreline Park in Mountain View? Never seen any there. But I had good luck last year in October along the Santa Cruz coast. This image was taken between Seacliff State Beach (Aptos) and New Brighton State Beach (Capitola). Don't know if they have already arrived but may check this weekend.

Will report.

JR

Aidan Briggs
08-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks John, sounds good there.

Yeah, I meant the one in Mountain View. Do they have any other birds there?

Joerg Rockenberger
08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
2 weeks ago Shoreline Lake was dead. In the fall & winter there are usually various ducks and grebes. Nearby is a viewing platform overlooking some mudflats at low tide in the SF bay (closest to 101 San Antonio exit). I've seen there ducks, terns and various shorebirds but never any BB plovers. Not sure what's going on there at the moment.

And I didn't make it to the coast this weekend.

JR

arash_hazeghi
08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
I went to the Shoreline and also nearby Palo Alto Baylands last weekend, did not spot BB Plovers (but I could have missed them) but Godwits, Avocets, Sandpipers and such were around as usual. Haven't seen that many snowys recently.
I have more luck with raptors in HMB (Poplar beach is my spot)

Steve Zamek
08-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Black-bellied Plovers are being seen now at Pillar Point, along the San Mateo County coast, just north of Half Moon Bay. I can provide more detailed directions if you're interested.

Nagesh Mula
09-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Black-bellied Plovers are being seen now at Pillar Point, along the San Mateo County coast, just north of Half Moon Bay. I can provide more detailed directions if you're interested.

Hi Steve, could you please let me know the direction. I'm planning to go to Pillar point this comming Friday 0911.

Steve Zamek
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
A map to Pillar Point can be found here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=AWWpSvapFYfSsgPL-4SGBQ&hl=en&msa=0&msid=108273616721175234522.0004733f4705cbd489f49&z=19

North on Hwy 1 from Half Moon Bay. Right on Capistrano when you reach Princeton.
Left on Prospect. Take Harvard or Princeton to West Point. Right on West Point.
Park in dirt lot near end of road (before heading up to dead end at gated facility).
Walk along path along beach to breakwater. Look for shorebirds at base of breakwater.
Usually best on harbor side, where light is best in late afternoon.

Good luck.

Joerg Rockenberger
09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Saw Saturday evening many dozens of BBPs at the "shell mound" along the Bay in Foster City. Too far away though for good photographs. I presume that they are on the move along the coast as well. JR