PDA

View Full Version : Crabapple with Leaf

Stuart Frohm
08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
This was discovered in my back yard while I was photographing crabapples remaining on the tree.

Pentax H100D, SMC Pentax Macro 1:4 100, ISO 200, aperture priority, tripod, electronic shutter release, morning light, cropped and minimally processed in iPhoto.

Julie Kenward
08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Stuart, for me personally, this is too tight in the frame. I feel like the leaf is literally crammed into the photograph. I'd suggest a bit more room all around.

I'm also not too sure about the grass blades over the top of the leaf on the left side and at the bottom of the frame. I see the compositional aspects of this and like where you were going but, for me, the lighting is a bit dull and isn't really holding my interest.

I think if this were on a thick carpet of grass and you had a nice ray of light coming down on it it would add so much more to the image.

Roman Kurywczak
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi Stuart,
now you know why I prefer studio work.....can clean it up and arrange it better....in that regard I agree with Jules...if you are going to try this again in the field......fluff up the leaf and try placing the crabapple in one of the ROT positions...that may help a bit.....but tough to eliminate the grass distractions that close to the ground.

Stuart Frohm
08-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.
All best,
Stu