PDA

View Full Version : Seepage Dancer

Bob Glotzhober
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I shot this small damselfly in a fen in the Missouri Ozarks. Other than using a filter/sharpen command and sizing it for the forum, it has not been edited. I've only recently shifted from shooting all slides to digital -- and am using the old Photoshop 5.5 (when I can at work during lunch etc.) or Photoshop Elements at home. My goal in shooting the insect was to get both the head and tip of the abdomen in focus to represent clearly what it looks like.

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Bob,

I like having the hole insect in focus - nice work. Would have preferred not having the noddy thing at the end but hey, that's were he perched so no big deal there.

The problem I have when I photograph this type of subject is that I get specular highlights and washed out color due to the contrasty light. What can help with that is a diffuser. I recently purchased some and holding that between the insect and light source really tones down the contrast and makes the light softer. You might want to try that.

BG is nicely out of focus. Thanks for posting.

Mike Moats
02-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey Bob, nice comp and great details. Just a tad bright in the upper body but that could be my monitor. The BG worked out well. At first I thought maybe a tighter crop, but the more I studied it, I like it as is.

Arsdel Fluesmeier
02-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Very nice image and it's all in focus. You did well.

Robert O'Toole
02-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I love damsels and this shot works for me, though i would love to see the entire perch end.

I would have gotten down about 1 foot to be more level with the subject also I would have stepped 2 steps to the left to be more parallel as it is now the subject is looking slightly away.

Robert