PDA

View Full Version : California Wildfire

BillTyler
08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
A large wildfire is burning about 10 miles north of Santa Cruz on the California coast. This photograph was taken from State Highway 1, a few miles away.

D300
18-200 zoom at 35mm
6 seconds at f/4.5
ISO 800

Bill

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Cool picture, but also very scary, I don't miss those fires at all.

Aidan Briggs
08-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Neat pano, and I like the red smoke. We have got some fires burning down in SoCal to. I heard one was 50,000 acres, and only 10% contained. It is completely hazy and smoky out this morning.

Michael Lloyd
08-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Wow... that's pretty impressive. I feel bad for the CA folks... seems like they are always on fire...

Julie Kenward
08-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Bill, nice job on exposure AND the composition. Pano crop is perfect for this! What really impressed me though was the fact that you managed to get different levels of light across the mountain range instead of it all becoming silhouetted. Nice work!

Roman Kurywczak
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey Bill,
pretty cool!......although hope it's in a remote area.....never figured out how you guys and gals get used to it! I think you showed this effectively.....while not the strongest "Oh Wow!!!" image......still nicely composed and presented.

BillTyler
08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Bill, nice job on exposure AND the composition. Pano crop is perfect for this! What really impressed me though was the fact that you managed to get different levels of light across the mountain range instead of it all becoming silhouetted. Nice work!

Hi Jules,

The different levels were actually quite easy to get. I adjusted Lightroom's fill light slider until I got some separation in the darks. This was taken at about 10:30 p.m. by the way. The only real source for light on the landscape was the fire itself.

Bill

Fabs Forns
08-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I like the image as presented, maybe a bit bigger, and love the layers of colors under that fire. It looks devastating.

BillTyler
08-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I like the image as presented, maybe a bit bigger, and love the layers of colors under that fire. It looks devastating.

Thanks! I just wish the subject wasn't so sad. I live in Santa Cruz, about a dozen miles from the fire. The air is visibly smoky throughout the region - almost like a thin brown fog. The fire is now partially contained, and at least as of the most recent news reports, no one has been killed or seriously injured, and no homes destroyed.

Bill

Richard Lovison
08-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Great image for a pano and well done exposure. My only wish is for a bit more at the bottom as the image seems a bit top heavy.

I'm glad to hear no one was injured and that no were homes lost. I certainly wouldn't want forest fires to be a yearly problem in the area where I live though as I understand it, there is an evolutionary purpose in these fires, at least the natural occurring ones.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Oh Boy, hope no one gets killed there. We have some shocking bushfires my way. :(

THe image does have a great, though scary, appeal. Thanks for sharing.

BillTyler
08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
The fire is now almost fully contained, and evacuation orders have been lifted. We've had very cooperative weather, with a lot of fog and mist in the air. There's been no loss of homes, and no deaths (at least human ones), but a few firefighter injuries.

Bill

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Glad to hear it's calming down and no one got seriously hurt!