PDA

View Full Version : Common Tern

Rich Steel
08-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Hi

I joined a new nature reserve this year for which access is by permit only. It makes a refreshing change to get away from the crowds. I only visited it for the first time recently and at this time of year has a huge number of common terns constantly passing the hide. Unfortuantely given the typical UK summer weather each of my visits have not been ideal in terms of conditions and I am waiting for the right ones to occur which will be clear skies and a light SE wind. Mind you the terns are starting to disperse now so I suspect that may need to wait for next year, particularly as my attention is being drawn to the ever increasing numbers of returning waders.

This photo is one of the birds coming in to land on an odd piece of rock that has been placed in front of the hide.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/Blog%20photos/common-tern-85-2009.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens at ISO400 F1/1600 F5 +1.33.

Cheers

Rich

Stu Bowie
08-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Lovely wing spread Rich, and I feel you have exposed this nicely. Im sure you wanted better eye contact, and wondering if they placed the rock, that they could have chosen a better perch.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-14-2009, 05:36 AM
Agreed about perch. Must be British taste like room temperature ale. :D Don't worry, us Aussies give the Poms cheek at any opportunity. :)

Agreed about eye contact, the wing position is awesome and your exposure is spot on. Thanks for sharing.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-14-2009, 05:43 AM
I like the landing pose and wing position. The light really didn't help getting details in the eye.

This area sounds like a good place for photography and you won't have to deal with oblivious dog walkers. :)

Harshad Barve
08-14-2009, 07:41 AM
lovely wing position here and nice expo
TFS

Daniel Cadieux
08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Wicked wing pose, and at least you got a small catchlight in the eye (was flash used?). I do wish for a bit of separation between bill and foot, but I would love this any day in my files :-)

David Fletcher
08-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Wicked wing position and details Rich. The "perch" author ... hmmmmm

Joerg Rockenberger
08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Great pose and sharpness. Agree re the head angle and the overlap between the bill and the foot. Perch doesn't bother me. JR

Rich Steel
08-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the comments. The perches available are the 'ugly' rock, a couple of weathered posts and other posts with planks joining them. They look best on the weathered posts although what is a good perch for a tern? There are some more images of them on the range of perches available, except for the plamks on my blog.

Daniel no flash was used and just managed to get a glimmer of a catch light from the sun trying to peak through the clouds.

Cheers

Rich

Austin Thomas
08-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Nicely done Rich, Great wing position and I know you will be back when the weather conditions are more favorable.

See you soon.

Austin