PDA

View Full Version : tennis elbow

stuart wanuck
08-13-2009, 08:22 PM
any experience in preventing tennis elbow in constantly lifting hand held heavy telephoto lenses?ps what
about hunching your shoulder when camera is on tripod?any answers?

Jim Neiger
08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I got a serious case of tennis elbow from too much photograpy, but not in my left arm which bears all the weight, it was in my right arm from holding and squeezing the camera body. I went to the doctor and got a cortizone shot in my elbow. This was followed by 9 months of wearing a brace on my forearm. I haven't had a problem since. To prevent it from happening I would suggest wearing the arm brace which may be purchased at your local pharmacy.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for that Jim. I heard those cortizone injections hurt like he11. Is that true? I have TE in both elbows - much worse in left - from when I worked in the scuba industry, from lifting tanks all the time I guess.

Fabs Forns
08-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Stuart, you can use the brace on your arm the sell for tennis elbow at the sport store. You can wear it all day and it does help a lot.

Julie Kenward
08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
I've had this same thing happen but learned that there's a difference between "tennis elbow" and "golfer's elbow." From what my doctor said, if the inside of the joint is bothering you it's golfer's elbow and if it's the top or outer area then it's tennis elbow. Mine was golfer's elbow and it comes and goes but usually responds with an arm brace and a few tylenol.

The reason I'm sharing this is because there are different braces for both conditions - get the one that applies to you! (And double check my info - I hope I'm remembering this correctly.)

Jim Neiger
08-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for that Jim. I heard those cortizone injections hurt like he11. Is that true? I have TE in both elbows - much worse in left - from when I worked in the scuba industry, from lifting tanks all the time I guess.

It is very painful during the injection and then your elbow is sore afterwards for several days. The doctor told me a joke during the injection to keep my mind off the pain. I don't remember what the joke was, only that I didn't find it funny at the time. :D I had the top elbow version of the tendonitis.

Alfred Forns
08-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Akos the Cortizone injections are effective but care must be taken I believe you can only repeat once in the next year since it can cause bone necrosis.

The most likely cause would be a pulling motion, I got it some time back picking up dive tanks. Holding and positioning the lens should not be a problem .. having the lens hang by your side might be. I think Jim uses a holster which solves the problem.

Not much to do other than what Jim mentions and the brace is a great idea !!!

Connie Mier
08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm really glad to see this thread here, but sorry that so many photographers suffer from these problems. I can add to a list of problems and wonder if anyone else has this issue as well. I don't have a particularly heavy lens (8 lb), but I have been suffering from what appears to feel like carpal tunnel syndrome (I believe from hyperextending my wrist to hold the lens). I started using a monopod to eleviate the pressure on my left arm and hand. Anyone else have that problem?
Connie

Christopher C.M. Cooke
08-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Having raced motorcycles most of my life I can lecture on tendonitis and Cortisone injections.

Beware braces that you get from your Chemist if you need them see an orthotist AFTER having a professional diagnosis and have a proper brace designed and made for your particular condition, this is crucial for prevention of futher injury.

Many soft clinging braces from the Chemist provide NO support and merely slow down joint movement and provide some warmth but do not provide SUPPORT which is needed for healing.

From my point of view Cortisone is necessary for control of inflamation and for effective pain relief (and I need it) just one of many injuries.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/cookie99/xray2.jpg

Cortisone is extremely painful when admistered second only to a spinal tap and though it works it has a myriad of side effects none of which are good in the long run so try physical therapy first and also try to stick to low dose painkillers.

All these injuries have a root cause and only an experienced Physican can pin point the cause and consequent treatment and prevention (DO NOT SELF DIAGNOSE OR TREAT) or you will pay for it in the long run.

Root canal requires minor surgery which is very effective but it is far better if diagnosed early and repaired, the operation is about 30 minutes and is frequently done under a sedative and local anesthesia.

All the best and remember after you have recovered, "prevention is better that a cure"

Fabs Forns
08-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Chris, Stuart is an MD.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
08-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Chris, Stuart is an MD.

Ah! that should help but we have three nurses in our house and my wife runs a Rehab ward in Melbourne and Doctors are some of her worst patients.:)

I wish him all the best, these things can abate but I have also seen some real long term problems with them.

Ryan Marshik
08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Tennis elbow is an overuse injury of the extensor muscles of the forearm. Prevention involves transferring some of the stress of handling heavy lenses to larger muscle groups. Simple in general, but specifically often not so obvious. Consider having a sports med/physiatrist/physical therapist (someone with a biomechanics background) look at how you hand hold your gear. In addition, adding some forearm strength and flexibility (flexor and extensor) will certainly help.

Good Luck
Ryan

Raul Quinones
08-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Good thread... almost eight weeks and still can't pick up my camera without experiencing some pain, much better now, but not back to normal.
My doctot gave some pills (Celebrex), that I have decide not to take after reading some of the possible side effects. Two weeks ago I started lifting very light weights, but I have to stop, I dont think I am ready for that yet. I am sure how long this is suppose to last, but is driving me crazy, beacuse is not photography only, but day-to-day activities.

Raul

Tony Whitehead
08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Tennis elbow is a tendinosis or tendinopathy of the tendons at the origin of the wrist extensors at the lateral elbow. It has often been labelled as a tendinitis suggesting inflammation but there is no inflammatory component to it having degenerative features histologically. Cortisone injections have been widely used and seem effective but as cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory and as there is histologically no inflammation the mechanism of action is unclear and some studies suggest if offers no beneficial effect in the long term.
Ice massage and cross frictions which can be self applied can be useful in my experience but the approach that seems to work best for tendinopathy at various locations is eccentric exercise which results in tension through the muscle tendon unit while it is lengthening rather than contracting.
These links may be helpful;
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/b/2009/07/15/a-simple-exercise-relieves-tennis-elbow-pain.htm
http://www.sportsmed.org/tabs/newsroom/AOSSMPressReleaseDetails.aspx?DID=613