PDA

View Full Version : Misty Morning Stream (HDR)

Morkel Erasmus
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM
This is another image in my pursuit of getting to know HDR.

I created this close to my home. Our town is situated in the flattest, dullest region of South Africa, and even in places you can imagine a nice composition, there is always a power plant, pylon or smoke stack somewhere in your view. This stream was the most interesting composition I could find last Saturday on a cold and misty morning. I haven't experimented much with getting water flow smooth, so I decided to do an HDR here to try and cut through the fog.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 25mm
f25 @ ISO 100
3 exposures: [0.25 ; 0.5 ; 1] seconds
blended in Photomatix using both the Details-Enhancer and Tone-Compressor algorithms
PP in Photoshop CS3: reverse s-curve ; selective colour ; local contrast enhancer (USM 25%,50px) ; desaturated yellows and reds and boosted cyans and greens ; sharpening after resizing

Your earnest feedback will be much appreciated!

Jay Gould
08-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi Morkel, I like it!

Is that one of your described pylons/smoke stacks in the distance - probably would remove it. Might also consider a bit of a crop off of the bottom just above the stick jutting into the water.

Looks like there might be some nice fishing in that stream.

Kobus Tollig
08-13-2009, 04:29 PM
You getting close now well done sit

Morkel Erasmus
08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
thanks Kobus & Jay.

@ Jay - that's actually a long thin blade of grass - no pylons in this direction as far as I could see - might remove it later on...and I wouldn't fish in this stream...lots of pollution in our area, as well as informal 'settlements' that dump their sanitary waste into any stream/pool they deem fit :( - although I know of people who've caught some nice bass lower down as the stream goes through town (but I'll bet it's on a catch-and-release basis ;))

Julie Kenward
08-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Morkel, I like this attempt at HDR but can't help but feel like I'd prefer a horizontal composition over a vertical one in this case. I feel like the shoreline on the right side is off in it's perspective when you get to the upper third of the image. I do like the overall feel of the water and think you are definitely on the right track here.

Roman Kurywczak
08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi Morkel,
agree with Jay on the bottom stick/grass.....too out of place. I also think Jules is on to something.....I think you can incorporate the rocks and rapids.....along with the leading line of the river.......to have more of an impact. It's not bad......I do think you can work this one compositionally a bit more. Too bad on all the pollution.....I guess people just don't realize how priceless water and streams really are.

Ed Cordes
08-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Nice HDR. I agree about removing the lower and upper grass blades protruding into the scene.

Morkel Erasmus
08-14-2009, 01:10 AM
thanks for the feedback Roman, Ed & Julie.

Julie - I can remember on the morning there was a specific reason for not doing a horizontal comp, something was bothering me on the left bank (can't put my finger on it now), but I'll maybe try this over the weekend again (not sure if it will be foggy).

will do a recomp without the grass blades...

Morkel Erasmus
08-14-2009, 02:58 AM
Took care of the thin blade of grass at the top and the one jutting into the stream at the bottom...

Jay Gould
08-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Hey Mate, I like it better; hope you do to!

Morkel Erasmus
08-14-2009, 07:25 AM
thanks Jay - yeah I think it's better, although that bottom grass wasn't that bothersome to my eye ;)

Julie Kenward
08-14-2009, 09:30 AM
That repost does really help Morkel. Keep after it!

Fabs Forns
08-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I like it Morkel, but I wish you had taken a much longer exposure to see if the blurred water showed some more.

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2009, 04:38 PM
thanks Julie & Fabs.
Fabs - as I said it was my first time experimenting with blurring water flow - will go for longer exposure next time :)

Fabs Forns
08-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Fabs - as I said it was my first time experimenting with blurring water flow - will go for longer exposure next time :)

You may need a neutral density filter to be able to pull it.

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2009, 04:48 PM
yeah filters are on my wish list.
but not at the top :(

1. 60D :) (for nature/avian - framerate of the 1000D is getting to me big time)
2. speedlite flash (pop-up flash not cutting it anymore)
3. 5Dmk2 (for landscapes)
4. polariser and neutral grad filter

don't see myself filling this list very soon :)

Fabs Forns
08-15-2009, 05:01 PM
ND filter should not break your piggy bank :)