PDA

View Full Version : Echo lake N.H.

Rene Quenneville
08-13-2009, 09:14 AM
From a small hike yesterday afternoon (mid-day) a few minutes after rain. 5 exposures HDR. I have tried to minimize the impact of the highway on the composition. Please give me your comments.

18mm
f/22
ISO 400
Nikon D200
from 1/40 s to 1/640s (HDR)
tripod

Stephen Cunliffe
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Renee,
I would be really interested to see the single 'correct' exposure, optimized as best you can, for purposes of comparison. I do this to see when and where HDR is really effective. My guess is that this is one of those instances, the result is very pleasing.

David Thomasson
08-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Nice setting and composition. There's plenty of room on the histogram to bring up the sunlit green areas (curves), and you could also
darken the road surface to de-emphasize that (I used a hue/sat adjustment layer).

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4368/echolake.gif

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8669/echolake.jpg

Rich Ikerd
08-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Very nice HDR work Rene and a really nice scene as well. I like how you minimized the impact of the road on the image while still relying on it to lead the viewer into the image. Nicely done.

Morkel Erasmus
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
nice work! I like David's repost and also like the strong compositional elements and the brooding sky.

Julie Kenward
08-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I really like the original post, Rene. I think the repost is certainly another way to go but I like the depth and crispness that your original brings to the scene. I really do like how the road, lake, mountains and clouds all lead the viewer through the scene. Now if we could just get rid of that rock in the FG...

Roman Kurywczak
08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Rene,
Very intresting.....another case where i don't mind the road as I feel you minimized it effectively. I'm with Jules on the FG rock.....as it does seem to draw the eye towards the road more.....could you have moved forward? You can crop it out......yes eliminating the near shoreline.....but not impacting the overall scene too much. I do like Davids work on the hillsides......but I would leave the road as is or just tone it down slightly. All in all....well composed and you are doing nicely with the HDR work too.