PDA

View Full Version : THEME- Cockaroo

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Thought the name would fool you all. I morphed the head of a tame Red-tailed Black Cockatoo onto the body of an Eastern Gray Kangaroo that I photographed a couple of miles from my house. Yes, occasionally we get roos on our streets in the west of Sydney. Small pockets of populations remain in existing woodlands and plains. :D

denise ippolito
08-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Akos, I think you are so lucky to get to see a live Kangaroo!! I never saw one. I love this merge! It's so cute!! I would maybe blend the merge area just alittle bit more. I love the treatment especially the face-Well done!

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your kind comment. I have no idea HOW to blend. :) I am truly pathetic when it comes to other than basics.

BTW, talking about wildlife, we had about 15 Black Cockatoos near my work all afternoon making those siren-like calls. I saw them fly off to their roost just before dusk as I left for home. They are so wonderful.

denise ippolito
08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Akos, If you are on a layer mask-just lower the opacity and change your brush to a soft brush. If you are using an older version of photoshop you can use the eraser tool. Just lower the opacity and soften the brush. Hope that helps.
The Black Cockatoos are another bird I've never seen in person.

Dave Mills
08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Akos, Good combination with nice application of filter. Agree with Denise about some blending. Backround is muted and with good placement of subject........

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Dave. :) Appreciate your kind words Sir.

Denise, I have CS4 and know what layer masks are, though I tried to use them I don't for the life of me understand how the brushes work. I am really hopeless. In the posted image I simply Quick Masked some fur and dragged two layers of selections over the join line and tried to lower the opacity of the two QM layers (merged the two first) then hoped that the 'blend' would be sufficient. Would you be able to point me to any tutorial that explains the technique you are talking about? I would very much appreciate that. thanks a million. :)

If I am correct a soft brush has a hazier outline and the hard brush a solid edge? That's the best way I can put my thoughts. :o:o:o I'll find you a BC picture, though I have nothing great.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I should have said the cockatoo in this image is a species not found in my state. We have two Black kinds. The more common one is the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo that is in this image above. They are very large birds. So sweet too, until they get hold of YOUR FINGERS!!!! That REALLY hurts.

denise ippolito
08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Akos, They are beautiful birds. Thankyou for sharing.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Here is a repost with the layer mask you were explaining Denise. Thanks so much for your time. I appreciate it. I first brushed over the top image at 100% setting, then changed to about 25% opacity and went over the head area. Hard to exclude the BG from the top image. I had to merge the two (once I free transformed the cockatoo head, as that was on top) and then clone, heal along the edges. That's a bit fiddly. I am sure it is easier. Thanks again. :)

anyway, hope this is a little better. no topaz this time.

denise ippolito
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Akos, Looks great-

Gus Cobos
08-13-2009, 06:35 PM
You discovered a new species Akos...:eek::D...love that face...:cool:

Indranil Sircar
08-13-2009, 09:08 PM
You are truely a discoverer of new species, Mate. The name surely got me here! Very creative and works well.

Kerry Perkins
08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Good one buddy! Once you get the hang of masks and brushes you will be unstoppable! Denise makes a good point about the eraser. Sometimes that works even better than brushing a mask. Each image has its own needs and figuring out what it takes for each one is part of the fun/challenge! I like the bg better in the original post but like the blending better in the repost. Just takes some noodling!

Dan Brown
08-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Nice work Akos! I like your first post with the topazclean-like effect alot but your second try does have a more seamless merge of the head and body. Or, is this really a new species??:D