PDA

View Full Version : Palouse Dawn

Stephen Cunliffe
08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Taken in May when there was still plenty of green.
Canon 50D
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM at 200mm
ISO 200; f/16 at 1/3s.
Suggestions for improvement always welcome

Roman Kurywczak
08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey Stephen,
This is an interesting area and an interesting comp. I may have wished for a bit tighter comp on the barn.....as the FG bare field patch on the LL is a bit out of place.....but that is easily corrected with a crop. Yo may also want to explore a crop off the top...eliminating the distant farm......to focus attention on the main one. A light boost of contrast in the contrast in the layers behind the main barn......is also worth experimenting with....just to see if that evens out the mixed light you had and keep the focus on the barn and rollling hills. Remember....the camera often fails to capture the grandeur of the wide vista's.....so often....less is more! Get this to somewhat of a pano....and the strength of the comp will quickly improve. Nice light and time of day....just a little tightening up.

Julie Kenward
08-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Stephen, the colors in this are absolutely surreal! I opened up the image and thought "doesn't this belong in the OOTB forum?" Wow...

I totally agree with Roman about the closer crop but I have to also add that I love seeing this original because it is impressive in its size and depth. Oh, and did I mention I love the colors???

If this were mine, I'd crop the top right above the tree line on the left and crop the bottom just above the partial pink area on the lower left.

James Shadle
08-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Roman is a hard act to follow!
IMO he hit the nail on the head.

Here is a crop based on his first recommendations.

James Shadle
08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
This crop is based on the idea that less is more and that a pano would rock.

Dave Mills
08-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Looking at these crops I like the pano but it does take away some of the uniqueness of the place. I might go with the second image cropped a bit above the tree line...This is a magical place

Ramesh Adkoli
08-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Stephan, What a beautiful place! I love those rolling dunes and colors. Early morning mood and vastness of space has been well captured. Including the barn and trees convey the scale very well. I agree with Julie in that the original communicates so much more about the place and i would go with that with only minor changes. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Roger Clark
08-13-2009, 12:28 AM
I really like this crop. It really helped the foreground especially.
Beautiful image, great area (as a former Seattleite).

Roger

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Beautiful, I would crop more from the top to right where the tree line is, Love the FG the colors are so bold there. Great job :)

Stephen Cunliffe
08-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I think this is one of those happy occurrences when there is more than one right answer to a question. I like both the deep version and the pano, two viable interpretations of the same scene, (each still needing its own tweaks). In fact, two for the price of one!
Thanks all for the input.
Stephen

Jory Griesman
08-13-2009, 12:47 PM
This is one of those images that you could tell was a killer just from the thumbnail. I think all comps/crops work in different ways, but Shadle #2 (pano) is my favourite (even though there are no birds to be seen), as it eliminates the road at bottom left, and some of the flatter or less contrasty regions in the background, while putting the farm 1/3 of the way in on the horizontal.

Rich Ikerd
08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Absolutely gorgeous Stephen! The colors and lighting are perfect. As has already been said, there are a lot of different compositions you can take from this - its all personal taste. I like yours as well as all of the suggestions. Just goes to show how wonderful and flexible the image is. Nicely done!!

Morkel Erasmus
08-13-2009, 04:47 PM
what a lovely display of tonal variations! I love the rolling hills, and think taking James' first crop suggestion and cropping that just above the top treeline, then adding local contrast enhancement will make be buy this image for my wall! :)

Michael Lloyd
08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Gorgeous shot with tons of possibilities. Roman's suggestions as always are spot on (as James pointed out)