PDA

View Full Version : Down by the rocks (Need help w/this)

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I took this while my Husband was taking pics of shore birds, the tide was really low, I would of liked to have a lower shutter speed, but didn't have my tripod with me, any suggestions while out in the field what i could of used, I was thinking of lying the camera down on a rock. All C&C welcome :) How would you shoot this pic, I feel this the seedweed is out of focus, I can never get it right.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2552/3815535838_34898af4ff_o.jpg
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Shooting Mode AE
Tv 1/50
Av 22.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 200
EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Focal Length 170.0 mm

Roman Kurywczak
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Kyle Marie,
If you are going to continue to shoot landscape images.....never....ever....ever....leave the tripod at home! That tool is just as important as the camera itself! As a matter of fact.......I might even put a sturdy tripod higher than what camera body you own!
Leaning a camera on a rock will help and may work in an emergency where you need fast SS's......but for the long exposures.....tripod....tripod....tripod! In situations like this.....seperation among the rocks is key....look for water space around a grouping of rocks. The split ND would have helped equalize the tonal range between the sky and water/rocks.......polariser....helps slow down the SS and eliminate glare........those 2 filters are still must have's in the digital age.....no landscape photographer should ever leave home w/o them! Seperation and isolation...along with the slower SS.......will have a huge impact in these type of images!

Julie Kenward
08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Kyle, I agree with Roman but also think a lower camera angle might have improved this, too. I feel like I'm looking down on the rocks in the FG when I'd actually love to be right at eye level or a tiny bit above.

Also, since you can't go back in camera, try opening up some of the darker areas with a shadow/highlight adjustment. You might also play around with a few colored filters in pp while you're at it to see if you can warm up the bright white areas on the larger rocks a bit.

Dave Mills
08-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi Kyle, Agree with Roman's comments. When you hit an area like this I suggest you walk the section and try and find groupings of rocks that you like and try to avoid merges. Also when you have a bland sky with little interest try and minimalize it. Lighting is key to a strong image so try and pick your time of day if possible...

Roger Clark
08-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Kyle Marie,
Ask yourself: what is the subject? There are many rocks and the eye just wanders (well mine does). It isn't led or drawn anywhere in the image. Now, an image does not need a single subject. If the idea was to show a bunch of rocks, then perhaps a wider angle to show more rocks? Or wait for a wave to do something interesting. Or change positions where a line of rocks leads the viewer to something else interesting.
The image appears a little soft, perhaps due to the f/22 aperture. Do you have one at f/16 or f/11? Your image was at ISO 200. you could go to 100 to get a slower shutter speed.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks every one for the advise I go to this spot a lot so i will try different ideas you all gave, And Roman I will keep my tripod with me at all times :)