PDA

View Full Version : Winged predator

Dean Ingwersen
02-08-2008, 06:31 AM
First post in this forum - here goes! Captured this image of a Robber Fly just after it had captured a honeybee. Robber Flies are aerial predators and actively hunt for smaller flies and bees like this. I actually watched it 'drinking' this bee dry - amazing experience. Right place at the right time...I hope the image does it justice. Thanks for looking. Don't own a macro lens so went with what was on the camera;)

Canon 20D, 500mm f/4L IS & 1.4x TC, 1/250sec, f11, ISO 100, eval metering -1/3
Photoshop CS - rotation, crop, sh/h, levels, curves, saturation, usm

Blake Shadle
02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Ask my dad, his favorite macro lens is his 600 f/4 ;) (sorry to steal your thunder dad)... The image definitely does it justice. Nice background and lots of detail. What's the brown dot behind the fly?

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
My big macro is a 600mm too.

Dean, looking good here. Detail in the insects is great, BG out of focus and lighting soft. All make for a great image of the fly.

Mike Moats
02-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey Dean, thanks for posting this and a welcome to you in macroland. Awesome details, great BG and nice light. What can you say but great job.

Robert O'Toole
02-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Dean you are killing me, great work. The bee pollen sac is a superb detail.
These guys are amazing and unbelievable. I have seen them take a horsefly 10x bigger than them and fly off. It would be like a human attacking and subdoing a ford explorer.

Robert

Dean Ingwersen
02-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Blake, the brown dot is fly poo ;). Contemplated cloning it out but thought it told a bit of the story...in at one end, out at the other:D. And yes, the 600mm is a killer macro lens!