PDA

View Full Version : Great Book on Flash Exposure

DeanNewman
08-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to discuss GREAT photography books, but I'd like to recommend Joe McNally's "The Hot Shoe Diaries; Big Light From Small Flashes". If anyone understands external flash exposure, this is the guy and he explains it in VERY entertaining (even colorful) language. He doesn't go into big studio units but explains how to get big light (the title) effects from your single and multiple portable flash heads. Excellent addition to your photographic liabrary.

Fabs Forns
08-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Dean, for the recommendation. It should be very interesting.

Desmond Chan
08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I second the recommendation. I have read the book and like it. Really great IMO. The only complain, if you wish, is it's about Nikon system since Joe uses Nikon. I believe though that the basics should apply to other systems as well.

DeanNewman
08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
You're right, Desmond. I have to translate Nikon-ese to Canon but, so far, it's worth the effort.

Tony Whitehead
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
This is an excellent book IMO. His previous one, "Hotshoe Diaries" is also a very good read. His videos on Kelbytraining cover a lot of the techniques "from the horses mouth".

Sid Garige
08-17-2009, 10:52 PM
His videos on Kelbytraining cover a lot of the techniques "from the horses mouth".

Tony,

The best $19.99 I spent this month. Fantastic resource.

-Sid