PDA

View Full Version : Lichen Patterns

John Cooper
02-08-2008, 02:09 AM
I was interested in these lichen patterns growing on granite rock - east coast of Tasmania.

Canon EOS 10, Canon 100mm macro, natural light with fill-flash. Tripod

David Steele
02-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Beautiful lichen and a well-balanced composition but it's very bright on my monitor. I wonder how it would have looked in the shade?

John Cooper
02-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Beautiful lichen and a well-balanced composition but it's very bright on my monitor. I wonder how it would have looked in the shade?

Thanks David - yes the central ring of lichen was a bright yellow (brighter than a midtone) while the rest was more of a mustard with a toch of 'The Last Quarter' orange :)

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
John, this works well but the contrasty light makes it harsh. Same problem I have but I bought some diffusers and use them. They work great to cut down on the contrast and provide a soft light effect.

Mike Moats
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey John, I thought my retna's were going to burn up when I opened this.:D I like the patterns, texture and abstract feel.

Robert O'Toole
02-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Very nice but a bit bright here too. I am a sucker for these pattern lichen images. Good work.

I might try a different crop and but the big shape to the right more to balance the image.

Robert