PDA

View Full Version : Something different...

Kerry Perkins
08-11-2009, 01:20 AM
At least for me. My daughter has been begging me to come over and take some shots of her "nano" salt water aquarium. She really has a good hand and eye for this! I went over to her place last weekend and had a go at it. Never done this sort of thing before, but I kinda like it! Chew on these techs:

50D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS @ 200mm
Aperture priority, f/9@1/40, evaluative metering EC -1 2/3 ISO 400 WB 5100K
Manual focus, tripod, 580EX II FEC 0 E-TTL mode Evaluative, Sto-Fen with flash head straight on

Thanks for your comments!

Gus Cobos
08-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Well done Kerry,
I like the composition and capture with beautiful colors...might want to lighten the over all image just a tad...good show...:cool:

Bob Miller
08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi kerry! Nice shot! i am sure your daughter is loving it!. I agree with Gus....great colors that kind of glow but perhaps just a little dark....just lighten a tad because you don't want to lose that glow!

Kerry Perkins
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys! Would this best be done with a curves adjustment? I have values hugging both edges so I don't want to go over, especially with the highlights. TIA!

Harold Davis
08-11-2009, 03:54 PM
hey kerry. i did an exposure correction in Ps. Exposure +.39 and offset -0.0074.

dont know if it was the right way to do it, but it works for me! see what you think. love the colors.

Kerry Perkins
08-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Nice Harold, thanks! That really makes it punch. This was an interesting experience for me and completely outside of my experience!

Ron Boisvert
08-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Kerry, You did a nice job for attempting this for the first time. I'm assuming the Sto-Fen helped create less harsh shadows and perhaps helped minimize reflections off the glass too? Shooting with a flash around glass can be tough sometimes. I also like Harold's exposure adjustment.
It looks like your daughter has done a really nice job with the salt-water aquarium. Nice work!!

Kerry Perkins
08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks Ron! I had tried a few test shots and just wasn't getting enough light from the tank lighting so I got out the flash. The Sto-Fen seemed like a logical thing to try and I was surprised at how well it worked! Also helps to shoot at an angle to the glass to keep reflections away from the lens.

My daughter will be very happy to hear that you like her "nano"!

Alfred Forns
08-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Re post rocks !!!!

btw tech wise your best bet for this type is getting a wider lens with a rubber lens hood and place up against the glass !!!!