PDA

View Full Version : a la Sauvette

Bill McCrystyn
02-08-2008, 12:11 AM
20D 100-400L IS @ISO400 F/8 1/2000

The decisive moment. Hovering over the ground squirrel this Red Tail hung motionless in the updraft on the hill just above the lake.

Alfred Forns
02-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi Bill I like the bird's position in frame and bg Also got the bird in an excellent position and showing a behavior Looks like a crop which always cuts down on detail Glad you did not try to open the shadow under the wing Looks more bette as shown that when it turns mushy I like it a lot !!!!

Bill McCrystyn
02-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Thank you very much Alfred. I know it's not perfect by any stretch but I loved the behavior posture so much I worked long and hard on the recovery. Original untouched F/F below. Bright heavy overcast day, wind at 30 knots, handheld. I got 4 frames before he pounced out of my sight.

Alfred Forns
02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Bill if we had a prize for recovery this would be it !!!!!! Determination Thanks for posting the original You do well with PS

Would probably concentrate on the initial capture From looking at the original it is underexposed Remember to have some date on the fifth box of the histogram (right side) One of the reason I stress getting the exposure the first time in workshops is for images like yours You get one chance and that is it Not the time of image you expect to be able to take again if it does not come out

Glad to see the PS magic You know what your doing !!!! Big Congrats !!!!

Bill McCrystyn
02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
When you take as many BAD pictures as I have over two years you get real GOOD at CS3. :) I am now turning my attention to proper exposure, as you say, the first time. I will work on manual, compensation and I was thinking auto bracketing (for stationary targets) might work. I am learning it's always better to shoot to the right. I will be getting bigger glass and more pixels soon and that will cut down on my need to crop so much with all it's issues. Thanks again.