PDA

View Full Version : Pine cone

Christopher Miller
08-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Just a pine cone :). Was rather dry of ideas when I took this, so I just set up a pine cone on a rock and photographed it. Do you think this makes for an interesting photo? Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/200, ISO 200, -1.0 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, noise reduction, a little cloning on BG, converted to B&W with channel mixer, and darkened the edges a tad

Julie Kenward
08-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Christopher, I love it! Simple but so effective. I do think the pinecone could use a little more sharpening or a bit more DOF, though.

Dave Mills
08-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Christopher, Agree with Julie on the sharpness.Probably could of gone higher than f4.5 and still had a muted backround. You were in control of the placement of the cone. Sometimes it pays to make multiple images at different f stops and see where the best depth lies. I think it does make for an interesting photo. I would also crop a bit off the top.

Christopher Miller
08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Jules and Dave, I appreciate the comments. Yeah I know I probably should have used a slightly higher f-stop. All too easy for me to get stuck in f4.5 and forget that my camera goes up to f8.0 :).

Don Lacy
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I like the monochrome look and lighting but have to agree on the increasing DOF

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I always have loved pictures like this, like they said a little more sharping but other then i love it:)